CoinPeople.com

Bastille Day

962782.jpg

I've been hooked on early California tokens and medals recently and this one just couldn't be passed up. Bastille Day is a popular festival in San Francisco to this day. The souvenir medal pictured here is from 1889. The loop appears to have been added to the medal.

Interesting medal. Do you know the history of Bastille Day being such a biggy in San Francisco?

By 1855 it was estimated some 10,000 French people resided in San Francisco, including French Canadians. The population in San Francisco in 1852 was 36,151 and by 1860 still only 56,802. So 10,000 French people in 1855 was a huge part of the population, probably around 25%.

By 1855 it was estimated some 10,000 French people resided in San Francisco, including French Canadians. The population in San Francisco in 1852 was 36,151 and by 1860 still only 56,802. So 10,000 French people in 1855 was a huge part of the population, probably around 25%.

Interesting. Thank you.

Was the large proportion of French-speaking people due to the Gold Rush, or were they there before that time?

Was the large proportion of French-speaking people due to the Gold Rush, or were they there before that time?

I don't know and I haven't delved into the question as yet. Wikipedia (not always te best source and not always wrong, a good place to start looking for info as long as you follow up with more research) cites a SF Chronicle article stating the the French government helped 3,000 French move to San Francisco in 1851 at the end of the Gold Rush. Otherwise, the French explored the west coast in the 1700s and "tens of thousands" are said to have emigrated during the gold rush. Among the founders of Yerba Buena (San Francisco) were French surveyors and businessmen. The first tavern (ca 1847) in SF, Vioget's Tavern was French.

I don't know and I haven't delved into the question as yet. Wikipedia (not always te best source and not always wrong, a good place to start looking for info as long as you follow up with more research) cites a SF Chronicle article stating the the French government helped 3,000 French move to San Francisco in 1851 at the end of the Gold Rush. Otherwise, the French explored the west coast in the 1700s and "tens of thousands" are said to have emigrated during the gold rush. Among the founders of Yerba Buena (San Francisco) were French surveyors and businessmen. The first tavern (ca 1847) in SF, Vioget's Tavern was French.

Thank you. :ninja:

Archived