CoinPeople.com

Does anyone own a medal reference?

alexbq2

I am not sure what you mean.

Is the dress somehow inaccurately rendered? The dress doesn't look radically different from the earlier Scott version to me (and no doubt she had more than just one dress!).

I read somewhere (and do not remember where it was), that the reason for rejecting the Dassier's work was that the dress shown was TOO HUMBLE, and in the Empress's opinion improper for a Russian 'барыня' (noble woman) to wear. If the dress shown were more imposing or better decorated, she might have approved the portrait. I do not know if this is just an anecdote or a true story, but I can imagine saying that would have been very typical of her based on her known habits and the life style.

I proud that I can keep Zander's point o view:

<<<both Dassier and Yudin emphasized the sovereign's features, represeting them with a slightly demure delicacy, and they paid little attention to her court dress, with the St Andrew sash, and to her opulent bust>>>> :ninja:;)

I read somewhere (and do not remember where it was), that the reason for rejecting the Dassier's work was that the dress shown was TOO HUMBLE, and in the Empress's opinion improper for a Russian 'барыня' (noble woman) to wear. If the dress shown were more imposing or better decorated, she might have approved the portrait. I do not know if this is just an anecdote or a true story, but I can imagine saying that would have been very typical of her based on her known habits and the life style.

Her decision was clearly not based on artistic merit.

I proud that I can keep Randolph Zander's point o view from his book:

<<<both Dassier and Yudin emphasized the sovereign's features, representing them with a slightly demure delicacy, and they paid little attention to her court dress, with the St Andrew sash, and to her opulent bust>>>>

:ninja:;);)

I proud that I can keep Randolph Zander's point o view from his book:

<<<both Dassier and Yudin emphasized the sovereign's features, representing them with a slightly demure delicacy, and they paid little attention to her court dress, with the St Andrew sash, and to her opulent bust>>>>

:ninja:;);)

Thanks providing this reference.

Thanks providing this reference.

you are welcome anytime; as I more trust facts not gossips, my opinion sometime differs from others :ninja:

• 3 years later...