CoinPeople.com

Cent VS. Penny

numismatic nut

What do you call it?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is it to you?

• Cent
    • Penny

Wow, what a wonderful reply. Are you going to start a new post: Monetary slang around the world ? Or such.

'Til then I'll be scratching my head thinking of terms to post like.....blanket, 2 bits, 4 bits 6 bits a dollar.........

I can't wait to see what CoinPeople from all different countries post.

Have fun, share and learn. Mud

Think about this. The famous Red Book states Nickel Five-Cent pieces. However, we all say those are Nickels. And on the coin itself, it states Five Cents, no - between the two words. And no place on that coin does it say NICKEL.

We almost all say I've got a one dollar BILL. Does it say BILL on that currency? Five dollar BILL? Some say saw buck, ten bucks so where is it stated our currency is bucks? How about a C note? OK, so now is our currency Bills, Bucks or Notes?

So more food for thought. On our Nickel it states Five Cents. Yet on our Dime is states Dime, not ten Cents. WHY?

Our Quarters state Quarter Dollar, our Half Dollar states Half Dollar, yet our Dime does NOT state tenth of a dollar.

The Red Book on coins and many others state a twenty cent coin is a Twenty-Cent Piece. There is no dash (-) on the coin between those words. There is no word PIECE on the coin, either.

Possibly should have been a new post on all the terminologies of our monitary system.

Archived