CoinPeople.com

Cent VS. Penny

numismatic nut

What do you call it?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is it to you?

• Cent
    • Penny

In my opinion this poll is really unnessary. I think about 200,000,000 people in the USA call that thing a PENNY. I know that there are those sticklers about terminology but they eventually fade away when they finally realize that here in the USA we speak American. That is a language where we adopt other words from all over the world, make up some, invent stuff, do as we want. Since the majority of people say PENNY, eventually the Mint will also have to put that on that coin.

Recently there was a post asking for people to list all the songs in our country that used the word PENNY. There are lots of them. Movies, books, TV shows, etc all say PENNIES.

By the way try singing that song Pennies From Heaven with CENTS instead.

How many people say A PENNY for your thoughts. Ever hear them say A CENT for your thoughts. :ninja:

I don't see the issue. Here in the UK we often use the word penny and pennies when speaking to children, regardless of the denomination. So if for example my nephew and niece where buying sweets and I was allowing them to pay for them I would say something like "Give the lady your pennies" regardless of what denominations they actually had. So to me penny is just an alternative word for coin. That said our one pence coins do say "one penny".

I dont know what idiot here decided to keep the subunit as pence when we switched to decimal. It would have been much easier to call it what it is, cents.

I don't see the issue. Here in the UK we often use the word penny and pennies when speaking to children, regardless of the denomination. So if for example my nephew and niece where buying sweets and I was allowing them to pay for them I would say something like "Give the lady your pennies" regardless of what denominations they actually had. So to me penny is just an alternative word for coin. That said our one pence coins do say "one penny".

I dont know what idiot here decided to keep the subunit as pence when we switched to decimal. It would have been much easier to call it what it is, cents.

So there is the answer. We just switch. You call your coins CENTS and we'll call ours PENNIES.

I was always under the impression (before I knew better of course) that in the US they had cents rather than pennies, but i've seen both used so i'm happy to leave it up to Americans to decide which they prefer best. What does grate like nails down a blackboard though is when people refer to UK pennies as cents! (Especially predecimal pennies, since there were 240 of them to the £ rather than 100!)

• 3 weeks later...

I dont care, I use both terms and recognize they both mean the same thing in the US... in that context. I have never understood why people get so bent out of shape when someone calls it a penny...So I voted for both since I recognize both as the name, or a commonly used term, for a US coin worth 1 cent... although I am aware the proper term is cent...I know its commonly refered to as penny. We do this a lot...there are a lot of things that are commonly known by something other than the strictly proper name.

I use either but in the US, it is a CENT. We The People except either in talk.

It would be neat to see a listing of all of the slang for not only our coinage in the US but also in the rest of the world. It would also help in looking up newly found coins we get.

Sholly

:ninja:

So I was watching Coin shop on HSN (it's the best sit-com on TV) and the guy said "Here I have the new 2009 Lincoln PENNY"! I yelled "Ignorant Fool" at the TV, byt that made me wonder "What do other collecters call it"?

Hello Izzy. Cute pole. I voted for both.

When I don't have one, it's a red cent. When I ask for your thoughts it's a penny.

When I save one, it's a penny, just like ol' Abe Lincoln said, "A penny saved is a penny earned."

When I find one with my metal detector, it's a treasure!

When I find one in a Walmart parking lot it helps me beat my wife's finds in a Walmart parking lot!

In Iran it might actually be a stick of gum or a bandaid and they call it a Rial.........When there in 1974-75

it seemed as though the mints didn't mint enough 1 real coins, because quite often when receiving change at any local store,

in Esfahan, I'd get a piece of the above in place of a 1 real coin, and sometimes one of each! Now,

I do know that the Rial is not monetarily equivalent to 100th of a dollar, pound, or schilling, but it is 100th of a Pahlavi, their lowest form of modern currency.

I love this site.......I know that I am a newbie and all excited to have found this wonderful site but

I intend to continue to be an enthusiastic CoinPeople and help others be the same.

Thank you for this thought provoking post!! Mud

Oh yes, crucial! :ninja:

Wow, what a wonderful reply. Are you going to start a new post: Monetary slang around the world ? Or such.

'Til then I'll be scratching my head thinking of terms to post like.....blanket, 2 bits, 4 bits 6 bits a dollar.........

I can't wait to see what CoinPeople from all different countries post.

Have fun, share and learn. Mud

Archived