CoinPeople.com

1907 50 kopek CHINESE FAKE

bobh

Here is the text of my eBay report:

150313917376 - fake 1909 50 kopeks, sold by gs_trend

150328387585 - fake 1907 50 kopeks, sold by gs_trend

380106271921 - fake ('replica') 1907 50 kopeks, sold by coins.hk

Look at the eBay items sold by coins.hk - right now there are over 1,000 fakes ('replicas') up for sale. Each coin appears to have the word 'REPLICA' stamped into the metal. However, take a look at the two items sold by this Australian seller: gs_trend. These coins are copies from the same batch as sold by coins.hk, however WITHOUT the word 'REPLICA'. You can tell because right under the beard, on Nicholas II's neck, there is a raised dot which is a giveaway that these coins were cast or struck from the same obverse dies. Also, the date on all of these coins does not match the genuine examples found in better reference books.

Obviously, the word 'REPLICA' has been photoshopped into the images used on eBay, whereas the real ''coin'' does not have the mark. It's time to take coins.hk and gs_trend off eBay, don't you think? At times, I find it extremely difficult to search for genuine coins and have to scroll through entire pages of these 'REPLICA' coins which are nothing but deceptive fakes designed to fool people into buying these on eBay.

Thank you for taking appropriate action.

Unfortunately, no reply and no action so far... :ninja:

Definitely the same dies. But the Australian fake looks much better. Maybe it’s just the pictures, but the replica coins don’t quite look silver. I’ll also speculate that the “replica” is stamped into coins after minting/casting.

Better pictures, IMHO ... although easier to spot as a fake, still very deceptive.

It's very sad ... not only are the pictures enough to show that this is a fake, but eBay takes absolutely no action! :ninja:

14+ hours left in the auction as I write...

we can probably add to the list of his fakes this one:

25 kopek 1866

the edge does not look right to me

Note that the seller says the following:

The photos are 100% original of the coin that you will receive if you are the winning bidder.

This is not the same as saying that the coin is an original, only that the photos are original.

RWJ

Note that the seller says the following:

The photos are 100% original of the coin that you will receive if you are the winning bidder.

This is not the same as saying that the coin is an original, only that the photos are original.

RWJ

The seller of fakes has some sense of humor, we should give him at least that.

Archived