CoinPeople.com

Another bad day at the mint

STEVE MOULDING

Have never seen this date error!

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/descr.cgi?au=56&id=15140

In addition, Brekkes specimen of the 1799EM Polushka is for sale in this auction.

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/descr.cgi?au=56&id=15293

There is also a _very_ ugly 1762 Peter III Denga.

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/descr.cgi?au=56&id=15374

Steve

Steve -

Thanks for the picture of this 1801 error coin. I happen to collect coins which have their date numerals transposed. I did not know that this one existed. Sadly, since it is in Russia, I can't even try for it. :ninja:

However, it is a neat piece!

Bill

P.S. - Yes, I do have an example of the 1276 (1726) 5 kopeks.

Also, here's the 1280 (1820) Spanish coin that got me started on 'transposed dates' -

959350.jpg

Steve -

Thanks for the picture of this 1801 error coin. I happen to collect coins which have their date numerals transposed. I did not know that this one existed. Sadly, since it is in Russia, I can't even try for it. :ninja:

However, it is a neat piece!

Bill

P.S. - Yes, I do have an example of the 1276 (1726) 5 kopeks.

:

You're very welcome ;) I'll keep you in mind if I see any others.

Congratulations on the 1276!

Steve

Shocking errors! :ninja:

Thanks for showing.

Bill, would you happen to have a picture of the bizarre Russian transposed error date? ;)

Here's an old scan -

959450.jpg

I got it from Alexander Basok some 10 years ago.

Cheers,

Bill

Interesting error Steve. It looks like the date is retrograded. I have a coin from the Szechuan-Shensi Soviet in which the number '200' for the denomination is retrograded, but I've never seen this happen with the date. In any case, it's a very nice coin. Thanks for sharing this.

Interesting error Steve. It looks like the date is retrograded. I have a coin from the Szechuan-Shensi Soviet in which the number '200' for the denomination is retrograded, but I've never seen this happen with the date. In any case, it's a very nice coin. Thanks for sharing this.

You're welcome :ninja:

The date does indeed at first look retrograded. I think though that it's a coincidence and that this is really just a transposition of the middle digits...as Bill points out this type of thing has been seen on a couple of much earlier Russian copper issues (1721<-->1271 and 1726<-->1276).

Steve

Does anyone have pictures of the 1271 (1721) polushka? (Brekke 76A)?

(My note says "Pg 27 of original Brekke. Peter I. Rarity is ./.").

No.. :ninja: The Peter I copper section of my image database is still in it's infancy with thousands of images waiting to be sorted and put in to their appropriate boxes. I'll keep a lookout though. Somebody else here may well have an image though.

Steve

You're welcome :ninja:

The date does indeed at first look retrograded. I think though that it's a coincidence and that this is really just a transposition of the middle digits...as Bill points out this type of thing has been seen on a couple of much earlier Russian copper issues (1721<-->1271 and 1726<-->1276).

Steve

Now that I look at more closely, you're right. It's not retrograded, but as you stated ,the middle digits were mixed up when the dies were crafted. Still, human errors in minting can make coin collecting all the more fun and interesting.

Archived