CoinPeople.com

HELP!! Ancient Gold??

LostDutchman

The reverse of the coin, I can read Greek, says Alexandrious. This might tie it to Macedon, just as a suggestion try doing a search in the ancient section of VCoins for a correct attribution. But it is suggestive of a Macedonian gold coin of Alexander III. The caution on these as the other poster notes, there are numerous fakes - notably from Bulgaria on these recently. The weight and diagnostics of the piece are critical in attribution and verification.

It appears to be a drachm of Alexander III, but drachms were silver not gold. The staters of that period were gold, but they always had Athena on the obverse and Nike on the reverse. This piece clearly has Hercules on the obverse.

One disturbing and tell tale sign this might be recently created is the lines radiating out from the image of Hercules on the obverse of the piece, which can be suggestive of having been struck in a screw press or machine press given that the metal displays lines from expansion under great pressure - which is not present on hammered coins.

It is fake, someone correct me if I am wrong but this coin was not minted in gold, only silver. It is the design of an Alexander III Drachm but in gold.

'Drusus' you a in right !!! It is fake 100% this coin was not minted in gold, only silver. It is the design of an Alexander III Drachm or tetradachm .

Archived