CoinPeople.com

Italy's commemorative 2 euro 2009

luke_idk

Italy should be the first European nation, that will issue a commemorative 2 euro coin, dedicated to a stranger, the French Louis Braille.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Braille

Most relevant is the fact that it'll be the first Italian commemorative coin, dedicated to a physical person and the chosen one is a stranger.

News are not officially confirmated, but quite sure.

Italy should be the first European nation, that will issue a commemorative 2 euro coin, dedicated to a stranger, the French Louis Braille.

The first euro area member state, yes. If you include the other three euro countries, then San Marino was first. What I find (pardon the pun) even stranger: While the USA and India for example will also issue coins on that occasion, France does (as far as I know) not have any such plans at this stage.

Have not seen any official conformation either, but this - a media release from the Italian Blind Union - comes pretty close: http://www.uiciechi.it/Newsweb/News/TestoNews.asp?id=1262

Christian

Yes, you're right. San Marino was the first one, celebrating italian famous people, as Colombo, Garibaldi, etc. In fact, even Belgium dedicated a 2 euro commemorative coin to the Belgium-Luxembourg economic union, with the portrait of the king of Belgium and the grand duke of Luxembourg, but the matter's quite different. Despite the portraits, the coin was dedicated to the union, iteself.

In addition to what you said, I can tell you that France will issue a commemoratice coin, not aimed to the circulation, anyway.

I also found the letter, that a member of the former Italian government sent to the Italian Blind Union to confirm the decision, so it sounds almost certain.

More than "almost". :ninja: The following is a quote from the World Money Fair 2009 catalog: "Finally, for the first time two different national faces of the 2 euro commemorative coins will be issued in 2009: one dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Economic and Monetary Union and the other one celebrating the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille inventor of the world-wide system used by the blind for reading and writing." As this is signed "Renato Vigezzi, Italian State Mint Director", it looks official to me. Unfortunately, no further details yet.

See page 19 of the PDF file (p. 37 of the catalog); note however that this is a 25 MB download ...

http://www.worldmoneyfair.ch/wmf/pdfs/WMF_2009_Katalog.pdf

Christian

Strangly enough India have allready got one out in circulation commemerating him :ninja:

Guess they wanted to issue it on, or close to, his birthday (4 January). Well, I don't find it strange that several countries issue commems honoring him. What I do find peculiar though is that, as I wrote, so far the Monnaie de Paris has not made any public announcement about a French "Louis Braille" coin yet. Maybe later this year ...

Christian

More than "almost". ;) The following is a quote from the World Money Fair 2009 catalog: "Finally, for the first time two different national faces of the 2 euro commemorative coins will be issued in 2009: one dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Economic and Monetary Union and the other one celebrating the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille inventor of the world-wide system used by the blind for reading and writing." As this is signed "Renato Vigezzi, Italian State Mint Director", it looks official to me. Unfortunately, no further details yet.

See page 19 of the PDF file (p. 37 of the catalog); note however that this is a 25 MB download ...

http://www.worldmoneyfair.ch/wmf/pdfs/WMF_2009_Katalog.pdf

Christian

Interesting link, thanks. I'd really like to be able to go to Berlin for the fair (and because I really like this town) but, unfortunately, my work wont permit it. :ninja:

Archived