CoinPeople.com

help with identifying medal

squirrel

An impulse purchase at recent coin show... I would appreciate any info on it, including translation of handwriting on reverse of this uniface tin. And yes, I know he looks like Santa Clause. Thanks!

This is medal No. 7 of the historical series started under Catherine II. It is is listed on

page 17 of RNS Journal 85, in the article covering such medals by Radford Stearns.

The obverse reads Great Prince Vladimir Sviatoslavich while the reverse has He

reigned in Russia after the death of his brother in 981. He consolidated the nation

under Christianity. I am unable to read the writing on the reverse of your specimen,

however.

This looks like a tin splasher made to test the obverse die. I have a photo of this medal

but the obverse is from a different die.

RWJ

Thank you RWJ. Ill have to dig though my back issues...

The dealer had what looked like a complete (maybe 25 or so) set of these tin splashers. he said they were for mounting on a plaque of some sort for display. He did have one bronze medal of the series for sale, but for much more $$ than i was spending that day. This one appealed to me because it was more well preserved than the others, and had this nifty handwriting on the back.

Archived