CoinPeople.com

Charles I and Henrietta Marie

This recent purchase represents a major departure for me in that i've actually bought something (gulp!) that is British and not French.....I'm justifying it on the basis that one of the parties represented (Henrietta Marie) was French. This particular jeton / medalet was issued to mark the wedding of Charles I of Great Britain with Henrietta Marie of France in 1625. At 24mm in diameter, it is a few mm's smaller (and considerably thinner) than typical french silver jetons of the same era. It isn't exactly `common' but at the same time i've come across at least three in the past two years. However, this was the only one I managed to purchase and to be perfectly honest I was astonished that i managed to get it so cheaply (£51).

953189.jpg

Nice one Ian, I can see why you strayed. Be very careful, it could become habit forming!!!

I have always been promiscuous, where medals are concerned, a piece of this a piece of that. Some people are purist and set rigid boundaries for their collecting, for me I love the history and research so much, an eclectic mix works for me. Perhaps it would work for you too.

....... for me I love the history and research so much, an eclectic mix works for me. Perhaps it would work for you too.

:ninja: Oh but it does for me too.....big time. I have been concentrating on french jetons (in the main) for some time now, however my pre existing `collection' is quite an eclectic mix. I have tended to steer well clear of actively collecting Brit items though for various reasons. This one was shouting out `buy me' so loudly that I caved in.

Ian

I just noticed you are from the ancient kingdom of Fife (one of my wedding guests 42 years ago was a workmate of mine from Fife). Did you see the turner/bodle I posted?

952717.jpg

I found that at a local antique fair in a tray with car wash tokens etc, it cost me $2 about 1 GBP. Very poor condition, but at least I rescued it and it now has a good home, even if I am a sassenach.

I did indeed see the bodle (or 2d scots). It is a reasonable example and in good hands too! I've got a few examples but not in any better condition than your one. Indeed, it is very difficult to find any scottish coin these days in fine or better, and when you do you need to have a resuscitation unit (or a good stiff drink) at the ready before being told the price.

I have lived in Kirkcaldy for nearly 20 years now, but originate from further up the east coast (Montrose).

Ian

Archived