CoinPeople.com

One Dollar 1979 D

Tane

After going through a pile of Soviet coins hunting for varieties (found several, soon to be added in Omnicoin :ninja: ), I decided to check some other coins out.

I noticed that I have two different 1979-D 1 dollar coins. The difference is the position of the word "LIBERTY" and the Susan B. Anthonys head. On the other coin, the letter "E" of is close to the head, while on the other its not that close.

I tried to search for this in the internet, but found only varieties of the 1979 P dollar.

(the difference is not very visible on the scan, but in reality it is uite clear)

dollar1979D.JPG

Try searching a near date/ far date and wide rim/ narrow rim.

If they are that then they are a coin of nice value.

Thanks for the advice, I actually did that and found out that that is true for the "P" dollars, not "D". (I might be wrong here, I know next to nothing about US coins). Also, the dates are on the same distance from the rim on both coins, they have other differences.

Interesting.

I think the second one is just a nice clean strike from relatively new dies and the first one was struck by worn mushy dies. With the lettering spread by wear they appear closer to the edge.

It would be interesting to see them in hand since there may be a hubbing issue of some sort.

Interesting.

I think the second one is just a nice clean strike from relatively new dies and the first one was struck by worn mushy dies. With the lettering spread by wear they appear closer to the edge.

It would be interesting to see them in hand since there may be a hubbing issue of some sort.

You are right about that, the other coin is struck with better dies than the other. In my opinion that still can't explain the different location of the mint mark, even if it could explain the closeness of the "E", which I slightly doubt too. I've gone through some of the 1979 D dollars in ebay, and it seems that there are atleast two distinct varieties of the location of the mint mark - the ones pictured above. You who have an access to more of these dollars could also do some searching. Is there a detailed research about die varieties of these coins?

Well, what ever it is, it was enough to spark a new interest in US coins in me :ninja:

You are right about that, the other coin is struck with better dies than the other. In my opinion that still can't explain the different location of the mint mark, even if it could explain the closeness of the "E", which I slightly doubt too. I've gone through some of the 1979 D dollars in ebay, and it seems that there are atleast two distinct varieties of the location of the mint mark - the ones pictured above. You who have an access to more of these dollars could also do some searching. Is there a detailed research about die varieties of these coins?

Well, what ever it is, it was enough to spark a new interest in US coins in me :ninja:

The mint did a lot of strange things with hubbing especially between 1977 and 1988. It gets difficult to tell the hubbing varieties from the die varieties and some coins even appear to display both.

I think they were experimenting with hubbing dies variable numbers of times.

I personally believe these are all highly collectible. Some are very dramatic and all are interesting. They don't appear in mint sets so most will be pretty hard to find in nice condition.

Archived