CoinPeople.com

Interesting `mule'

This is an strange jeton.

On one side it has the reverse of the jeton issued in 1666 for the `ordinaire des guerres'. On the other side it has the reverse of the jeton issued in 1676 for the `revenus casuels'.

Apart from the obvious muling of two entirely different jetons, the inscriptions on the `revenus casuels' side show that the art of spelling was still in its infancy for at least one die maker. The inscriptions should read `IE Montre Une Route Asseure' (roughly translates as `I show a safe route') This one has `routte' and `asseuree'. The exergue should read `revenus casuels'. It reads `revennus casuels'.

I wonder if this was made by some apprentice die maker at `la monnaie' as practise for his skills. The jeton is well worn suggesting that it saw heavy active duty.

952362.jpg

Very interesting! BTW, asseurée is correct, since route is feminine. The other variant spellings are typical for earlier in the 17th century (or late 16th), before the Académie Française started standardizing the language starting in 1636. Maybe the mule-maker was looking at an older list of emblem mottoes...

Good point Frank. I had thought about that along the lines of the masculine form being attributed to the `I' (that is `le phare' or lighthouse). The motto on the normal jeton of the year was `asseure' (masculine). NO claim from me as to expertise on french grammar though, that's for sure! :ninja:

(Edit: Actually, my comment as to the `proper' spelling of `asseure /asseuree' was taken from Mitchiner's description of the 1676 jeton. I have since referred to Feuardent thanks to the sleuthing done by Constanius. Feuardent does indeed list the inscription as `asseuree'. He also noted jeton no. 2664 as being a hybrid jeton).

One thing i'm pretty sure of is that on this occasion the die maker wasn't particularly good at copying the spelling of `revenus' as was used on earlier jetons of that particular branch of the administration. I think that he just didn't bother to use his spell checker.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another interesting jeton, minted using two different obverse dies (Feuardent 11669 with 11670), this time from the reign of Charles IX.

One side is dated 1562 in roman numerals with the legend `Pietate et Iustitia' (Piety and Justice), the other side is dated 1563 in arabic numerals with the legend `Abundantia Fr(ancia) (Abundance in France). It is not listed as a known hybrid in Feuardent. Mitchiner does not list this particular 1562 die (interlaced pillars with trophy) at all.

953121.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's another `mule' I purchased recently. The obverse is that of a jeton issued in 1660 and also in 1664 for Antonius Morand, Dean of the Faculty of Medecine (Paris). The reverse however was engraved specifically for the 1662 issue for the `Conseil Du Roi' (Kings Counsel). This combination is not referenced in Feuardent or Mitchiner, nor have I seen it referenced in any catalogue (so far that is)

There are referenced jetons struck for him in 1660, 1663, and 1664 but none for 1662. It could however be that he took up post in 1662 and this `mule' was as a result of the need to issue some form of recompense for his services.

956188.jpg

Yet another `mule' consisting of two different reverses that does not appear to be listed in either Feuardent, Mitchiner, or GGf's catalogues.

Side '1` (1663) was intended for use as the reverse for a stock jeton that year along with an obverse bearing the bust of Louis XIV of France. Side `2' (1664) was intended as the reverse of the `Batimens Du Roi' issue for that year (that part of the Kings administration that dealt with the building and maintenance of the royal properties). Again, the obverse should typically bear the bust of Louis XIV.

Frank, if you read this, side 2 is the frontage of the Val de Grace in Paris.

956594.jpg

Of course I read this Ian, especially since you have the greatest French jetons of anyone I know! Thanks to you I will never again mistake the floor plan of Val-de-Grâce for a French garden design... :ninja:

Anyways, this latest mule is awesome.

Balzac puts the pension of Mme Vauquer in Le Père Goriot in the Val-de-Grâce quarter of Paris. Lots of starving Sorbonne students in the early 19th century.

• 3 months later...

Here's my latest `mule' acquisition. I'm really struggling with an explanation for this one.

961957.jpg

One side is dated 1599 and has Justice and Peace standing side by side. The legend quotes Psalm 84 but neither Feuardent nor Mitchiner lists this particular legend.

The other side shows Louis XIII crossing a bridge on horseback and is dated 1620. There is some speculation that this is the bridge at Toulouse, and the obverse that would match this is Feuardent 2819 from the `Ponts et Chaussees' series. (see CGB's one at http://www.numismatique.org/images/monnaie...3/j13_0001.jpg)

Strange how two jetons minted 21 years apart have come to be muled. I just can't figure out this one at all.

I also have a jeton dated 1617 with the same design and legend as the 1620, but with the arms of Navarre and France obverse.

951546.jpg

Archived