CoinPeople.com

So, I am living in one of the mint's test markets...

jtryka

...for the new $1 coin, and it's interesting. I have seen a number of TV commercials and dozens of billboard on buses (it seems like every bus has one) touting the positives of using the dollar coin, mainly that it's good for the envirionment, lasts a long time and is 100% recyclable, yet I have not seen a single one of these coins in circulation (though I did find 2 rolls of Jackson dollars at one bank after asking at several banks). So is this all we can expect from the $12 million ad campaign?

They are pulling out all the stops now! This morning as I was getting ready for work, the local Fox morning news had Edwin Moy on live to talk about the dollars and the marketing campaign, I didn't see the whole thing, but he basically said you could get them at all the banks in the area as they are well stocked. Afterwards, the weather guy said something about wanting them to bring back the $2 bill, even though it never really left...

Wow. I haven't seen a single one of those ads, even when I was in Chicago last week.

Not sure why it is important that being in Chicago makes a difference. Just be happy you didin't loose your wallet.

:ninja:

Regardless of any advertisements, commercials, etc. people just don't like those stupid baby sized dollars. I've yet to see a vending machine take them or rather if they do take them, that's all they do. Train conductors don't have a coin changer that has a slot for them and when I've tried to use them on commuter trains, the conductors just give me looks like How would you like to be thrown off while we are moving.

Those are about the size of a quarter and as many will tell you if they get them in change for a quarter that's OK. But to accidently spend one as a quarter, not to nice. They are much heavier than a paper dollar. You can put a hundred paper dollars in a wallet but not a chance putting 100 of those in a wallet. My son carries no change at all and no bill less than a five. Try telling him to use a baby dollar.

I've never used one, don't want them, will not take them in change, when asked if I want one, I laugh. Sorry but those are just a waste of money.

Not sure why it is important that being in Chicago makes a difference. Just be happy you didin't loose your wallet.

:ninja:

I thought Jeff lived in northern Indiana for some reason and the market would be big enough to hit Evanston.

Archived