CoinPeople.com

Need help with translation

Antikvarius

Hi everybody!

I need some help with translation, actually with a definition of one thing. Russian king Vasiliy Shuyskiy (1606-1610) had a certain gold coin, it was "one gold coin in 5 hungarians". It means a coin that was equal to 5 Hungarian ducats. How would you say it correctly in English? "One gold coin in 5 hungarians" as I already said, or maybe "Gold one in 5 hungarians". I know it sounds like there are five Hungarian people involved, but we say this way in Russian dealing with this coin. How to spell it in right way? I would appreciate very much your help :ninja:

Just 5 Ducats. :ninja: At least it is what it calls Friedberg catalogue of gold coins of the world. Also this denomination is not listed there under Vasily Shuisky, but 5 Ducats are known for Ivan IV, the terrible (1533-1584).

Also if you want to be very close to Russian terminology you may call it “Gold coin equal in weight to 5 Hungarian Ducats (Ugorskih)”.

WCO

Thank you very much for answer! Acually Shuyskiy had this coin as a medal for rewarding and I mentioned it thinking about this matter. There will be a catalog of Russian medals for rewarding and I just want to make sure in correct terminology. Can you say in this sense not "gold coin in 5 ducats" but "gold one (or maybe "golden") in 5 ducats" or it would be incorrect?? Or "5 ducats" would be sufficient for the name of medal concidering the fact it will be in the catalog of medals, not of coins?

Thank you very much for answer! Acually Shuyskiy had this coin as a medal for rewarding and I mentioned it thinking about this matter. There will be a catalog of Russian medals for rewarding and I just want to make sure in correct terminology. Can you say in this sense not "gold coin in 5 ducats" but "gold one (or maybe "golden") in 5 ducats" or it would be incorrect?? Or "5 ducats" would be sufficient for the name of medal concidering the fact it will be in the catalog of medals, not of coins?

The new book you are mentioning - is it Bitkin's new book on award medals? I thought it was already finished.

About the ducat. I think there is no need to mention "Hungarian" in the description. A good way to describe it would be "gold award medal in the weight of 5 ducats"

Archived