CoinPeople.com

Where in the world....

Johnny 1989

I recently got a bulk of 115 different banknotes to help boost my collection & I know you lads & lasses are great at identifying banknotes with non English names so I was wondering if you could help me with this lot at all please. The first four are from last year & weren't in this 115 but I haven't a clue where they're from.

2008-08-27-2130-33.jpg

2008-08-27-2132-22.jpg

Russia or USSR I presume but rather odd notes, anyone know who the chap on the front is?

2008-08-27-2126-05.jpg

2008-08-27-2127-39.jpg

Erm...?

2008-08-27-2135-58.jpg

2008-08-27-2137-51.jpg

Not a clue...?

2008-08-27-2139-56.jpg

2008-08-27-2143-39.jpg

Russia & China???

Any help greatly appreciated :ninja:

The first four (8 including the reverse images) are all Mavrodi Notes. these were issues as a scam in Russia and I heard that Mr. Mavrodi (the chap on the front) is doing hard time. It was some sort of pyramid scheme as I understand it. All the notes with MMM on them are these type of notes.

The next set of four ( 8 with reverse images) are ass follows:

Libya

Nepal

Nepal

Bulgaria

The next set of four are all from Laos.

Then the last set are:

Belarus

Belarus

Bulgaria

China

China

China

That was one heck of a chunk of banknotes to look at! I think that if it had been me, I would have broken the notes up into more than one thread. Just easier to focus on.

However, the first set of notes is indeed Russian. This link is to a Wikipedia site that gives information on the infamous MMM bank scheme. While you can't trust everything Wiki says, in this case I think they've got a good handle on the basic facts. :ninja:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMM_(Ponzi_scheme)

The first four (8 including the reverse images) are all Mavrodi Notes. these were issues as a scam in Russia and I heard that Mr. Mavrodi (the chap on the front) is doing hard time. It was some sort of pyramid scheme as I understand it. All the notes with MMM on them are these type of notes.

The next set of four ( 8 with reverse images) are ass follows:

Libya

Nepal

Nepal

Bulgaria

The next set of four are all from Laos.

Then the last set are:

Belarus

Belarus

Bulgaria

China

China

China

Thanks for identifying those

That was one heck of a chunk of banknotes to look at! I think that if it had been me, I would have broken the notes up into more than one thread. Just easier to focus on.

However, the first set of notes is indeed Russian. This link is to a Wikipedia site that gives information on the infamous MMM bank scheme. While you can't trust everything Wiki says, in this case I think they've got a good handle on the basic facts. :ninja:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMM_(Ponzi_scheme)

Thanks for the link, rather interesting, so did many of these escape then? I can't actually remember where they came from.

I did think to break it up into seperate threads but just foudn it quicker to scan as seen, being lazy I know

Archived