CoinPeople.com

What is it?

allen.moore

This one is currently for offer on eBay. Minimal description, no date or type. I've never seen anything quite like it. Can anyone weigh in on what this might be?

It is a denga from the reign of Ivan IV.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the date is something from the 1530's.

I could believe it is something from Ivan IV (Grosny). I have several examples of his kopecks and denga in my collection. My query was based on the near-circularity (is that a word?) of the current offering. All my Ivan IV coins are of the typical wire variety, with a definite oblong shape, being flattened from silver flans.

I guess I'm showing my newbie ignorance of this genre - is a near-circular coin of the pre-Petrine type common?

I could believe it is something from Ivan IV (Grosny). I have several examples of his kopecks and denga in my collection. My query was based on the near-circularity (is that a word?) of the current offering. All my Ivan IV coins are of the typical wire variety, with a definite oblong shape, being flattened from silver flans.

I guess I'm showing my newbie ignorance of this genre - is a near-circular coin of the pre-Petrine type common?

Accidents happen :ninja:

Actually smaller coins come out more round when hammered, because they fit under the hammer better. On kopeeks you often see the edges of the wire. Also, Ivan's coinage uses high grade silver, the grade of silver was continually diminishing all the way till the end of hammered coinage. Higher grade silver is softer, and easier to hammer. If you look at Peter the Great hammered kopeeks they are thicker than they should be, since the low grade silver used to make them is hard to hammer into shape.

Archived