CoinPeople.com

5kop1803EM rim defect

sigistenz

Hi folks, as we know die breaks are common with the early Russian copper 5 kopeck coins. Inspecting my beloved ones once again, I found however a rimming machine bar break on a 5kop1803EMmule (value side of 1802type, eagle side of 1804type) that had escaped my attention so far (see my 1st picture below). As it seems to me one of the 2 bars of the rimming machine (I don't dare stealing pictures) must have been broken. My second mule of that same type has a regular edge all over (see my 2nd pic).

Checking all my old Russians with slanted milling edge, abt 60 of them starting with the 1767 Siberians throughout 1810, I found only one more with a similar rim defect - a 5kop1803EM 2nd type (see my 3rd picture). This leads to my conclusion that sometime in 1803 one of the rimming machines must have had a temporary bar break. And that this was quite extraordinary. Does anybody have similar rimming breaks? And on which coins? What do you think? Thanks in advance, Sigi

P.S.: ENLARGE MY PIX BY CLICKING ON THE UPPER RIM - AND ENLARGE AGAIN BY CLICKING INTO THE ENLARGED PIC

5kop1803emmule1ou9.jpg

By sigistenz

5kop1803emmule2bo0.jpg

By sigistenz

3kop1803em2ndtypepg6.jpg

By sigistenz

Checked my 1803 EM and it has one of those things on the edge.

Thank you Alex! 1803EM comes in 2 types, the 1802EM design and the 1804EM design. Which one is it? Thank you again, Sigi

Archived