CoinPeople.com

1821 Zacatecas 8 Reales

Vfox

I have one of these coins already but I really love the mishappen coin blanks used for these at the Zacatecas mint in Mexico.

Anyway I am thinking of buying this one and I noticed the R.G., especially the G in the assayers' initials is different. Does anyone know if the R.G. assayer initials did actually have a serif font for some or always san-sarif? Thanks!

Here is the one I am looking at.

10zx0rk.jpg

Here is mine.

2jb8yf4.jpg

Bumpity on up. I only have another day to choose if I should bid or not. Anyone have an opinions? I couldn't find mention in any book, you would think that would be important to note...feh.

Btw, anyone know of any good books relating to colonial "New" Spain 1730's-1820's?

Thanks for checking on that. I just don't know, the guy has 1 feedback and hasn't sold anything for 5 years. I am curious if it is a stolen account and he is using photos from other places? Either way it makes me nervous because certain letters are slightly different as well. This is during the revolution and the mint did go between loyalists and revolutionists and all, but I just don't know. Also the strike on the obverse is great but I see no lustre anywhere, but that could because of the scan. Meh, if it stays cheap I might just to see, it would still make an interesting counterfeit if it is one.

Thanks Gxseries, the auction is over around 11:30 EST so if he doesn't respond in time I understand. I think it's a nice coin, but I am not willing to pay much more than the current bid because of it's questionable legitimacy.

Kind of funny dropped in on my local coin shop today and they had an 1821 8 reales. Only thing it was a Guadalajara mint.

How much? :ninja:

Wow, I only paid like $45 or so for mine. I also just won one in similar grade from the Mexico City mint for $28....lol. :ninja:

An hour to go....I'm not going to bid it's more of a risk than I'd want to take for something I'm unsure of. Not to mention the Ferdinand VII coins are fairly common even in high grade. Something like 30,000 or so minted for each year recorded.

Archived