CoinPeople.com

TPG's strike again

Vfox

So in my current email from Heritage I noticed they were selling one of the 130 some 1794 silver dollars in existence. I felt I should take a look and see how much it sold for. Well 100 some thousand, no shocker there, but what I was surprised (although at this point I shouldn't be) to see was the grade given.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?S...m060608&ic=

Why is it just because a coin is rare that it gets a different, nearly always better grade than anything else that looks like it. This was obviously harshly cleaned at some point but the holder shows absolutely no indication of it...yet I have a Unc seated quarter that was lightly, I'm talking barely touched with a cloth and is labeled "cleaned". Seriously, such BS if you ask me.

11kxo5d.jpg

wjyydh.jpg

2uz9sb4.jpg

jg7fnm.jpg

The 1794's are known for many strike issues, especially weakness around the date area. However, just as Matt said, this one is very poorly struck, cleaned, and has what may or may not be a planchet flaw. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to own ANY 1794 dollar, but if I were to drop 100 some thousand dollars on a coin, it certainly wouldn't be that one.

1799dollar.jpg

This has a fairly lowish grade on the plastic tomb if I recall correctly, I admit I ignore the grades on the tombs. I bought it for the coin, not the whatever farging holder it is in.

I remember thinking this was undergraded when you showed it months ago. Did you ever end up selling her?

Archived