CoinPeople.com

Help identify undercoin, please

bobh

The 1763-EM/1758 is listed in the 1997 Brekke supplement. Judging from what I can see of the undercoin here, it cannot be 1762 ten kopeks. However, it is hard to tell if the undercoin was perhaps 1762 struck on 1758 or some other year. Unfortunately, not many details of the undercoin can be found on the obverse. Here are some pictures:

(edit: I FIXED THE LINK)

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/russ...-1762-over-1760

Thanks for looking! :ninja:

definite 10K 1762 under there. See the "K" at the left of the scepter...

and good detail of the Elizabeth 5K under there too... lots of wreath detail (second image, bottom)

On the reverse there are eagle feather of the 1762 10K, to the left of the crown.

3 coins in 1!

and good detail of the Elizabeth 5K under there too... lots of wreath detail (second image, bottom)

On the reverse there are eagle feather of the 1762 10K, to the left of the crown.

3 coins in 1!

;) Thanks, Josh (and gxseries!) :ninja:

So THAT's what it is ... I just couldn't figure it out! Wow ... looks like I got a bargain on this one (3 for the price of 1). :ninja:

Looks like the overstrike bug has hit bobh as well ;) More competition for me :ninja:

Nevertheless, it can't get any better when it has that many overstrikes. I'm looking to see if I can push it to four (theortically possible up to 5?) but so far no luck.

gxseries, I think you're one of the admins on this forum, is that right?

What do you think of starting a new subforum in the Russian forum for overstrikes and overdates? It's so hard to find published information about these, especially with good pictures. I think we would be doing numismatics a service by posting some nice examples of overstruck coins!

Bobh, although I am an admin, I do not have the full rights to add another sub category. I have to ask akdrv for it.

I do believe that overstruck coins are way underrated and it will be very interesting to see how far these coins actually did travel. For example, one of the famous examples would be the Moldavian coinages were overstruck in 1795, Moscow Mint. Overstruck Swedish kopeks is also another puzzling example. The earlier Peter silver coinages too are also very interesting but I've never handled any examples except looking from images.

P.S. Bobh, my guts say that it's a 1760 instead of 58. The last digit should be viewable right at the bottom of the double headed eagle's tail. Looks like a strong 0 to me instead of 8.

I'm looking to see if I can push it to four (theortically possible up to 5?) but so far no luck.

Never saw a four..that would be cool! Ive got 1766 cpm 2k thats got traces of a 1762 4k, and the Elizabeth 2K, but no hints of the baroque 1K or krestovic that might be under there!

I confess .. Didn't have that 5k overstrike and had some Paypal Money left. Got into a bidding war and behaved like a rookie. BUT I GOT IT ...

Well it's gone to a good home! Congrats on filling a hole in your collection Mike.

P.S. Bobh, my guts say that it's a 1760 instead of 58. The last digit should be viewable right at the bottom of the double headed eagle's tail. Looks like a strong 0 to me instead of 8.

I think you're right ... I never would have found this without your help, though! :ninja:

Thanks to squirrel and gxseries for helping me with this one ... in the meantime, I've updated my website to reflect what we now know about it.

Elements of the 10k (1762) undercoin

on reverse:

The letter "K" to the left of the scepter;

The trumpet device which is showing through the scroll.

on obverse:

There are traces of wing feathers as well as a scepter; can't tell if this is the 10k or the 5k eagle, though.

Elements of the 5k (1760) under-undercoin:

on reverse:

The crown and wreath, both from the obverse of the 5k;

The digit "0" from the date is partly visible right beneath the eagle's tail.

If anyone else spots some other things, please let me know! :ninja:

Bobh, I would highly recommend using overlaying in photoshop and this way it gives a better understanding of what section of the coin appears at a specific area. For instance this was one of it that was done for the suspected 1766 5 kopek CM:

http://www.gxseries.com/temp/1766_5k.png

And this is a flash video made for contrast to see where the location of the underlying image is supposed to be at:

http://www.gxseries.com/temp/1766contrast.swf

Of course, there is a big assumption that whatever was under the overstruck coin wasn't distorted to such a huge extent that all coordinates are all over the place.

There was no conclusion to that 1766 5k CM but I strongly believe it's overstruck. If it is possible, I would like to see it in real hand and get a better look at the finer details.

Very cool flash video! :ninja:

How did you create the video, directly out of Photoshop? I never did much with video except for a few amateur DVDs.

Bobh, I actually used a software called Macromedia. I wouldn't mind doing one for you Bobh, if I can find a decent photo of a 1760 5 kopek image as well as a flatter image of the 5 kopek coin that you've taken Bobh. From the looks of it, I'm sure it was taken at a slight angle.

Also Bobh, took a short look at your 5 kopek collection and I've got some interesting comments:

1763 SPM - at least double struck

1766 MM - looks like an overstrike with the crown probably at 4-5 o'clock, possibly similar to the overstruck 1764MM. Not too sure if it is my illusion but that seems to be so. Might be worthwhile taking a look at it.

Bobh, I actually used a software called Macromedia. I wouldn't mind doing one for you Bobh, if I can find a decent photo of a 1760 5 kopek image as well as a flatter image of the 5 kopek coin that you've taken Bobh. From the looks of it, I'm sure it was taken at a slight angle.

Also Bobh, took a short look at your 5 kopek collection and I've got some interesting comments:

1763 SPM - at least double struck

1766 MM - looks like an overstrike with the crown probably at 4-5 o'clock, possibly similar to the overstruck 1764MM. Not too sure if it is my illusion but that seems to be so. Might be worthwhile taking a look at it.

Thanks for looking! :ninja: While I try to take good pictures, I'm certainly not a very good photographer. Since I usually use natural lighting, I sometimes tilt the camera, or the platform where the coin lies, just a little bit to get a good lighting angle.

Thanks Steve .. Also picked up a snagged a 1764 c m / c p m. Had never seen one in person before.

Nice coins, Mike... I didnt make the connection right off.. any scans of the 1764 yet? Post up a new thread if you do! (sorry about the hijack, Bob)

Nice coins, Mike... I didnt make the connection right off.. any scans of the 1764 yet? Post up a new thread if you do! (sorry about the hijack, Bob)

Not a problem, Josh! :ninja: But it would be nice if we DID have a separate forum for these overstrikes and overdates, don't you think?

Perhaps.. but that goes down the path of further sub-topics, like "Rubles of Peter I" etc. Its all Russian Numismatics, and the traffic here is not so heavy.

But, I think a Gallery of Overstruck coins would be fun. Since each one is as unique as a snowflake, and there are no publications dedicated to overstrikes (other than the very nice examples in Brekke's supplement). :ninja:

Archived