CoinPeople.com

Another question about grading...

bobh

The almighty slab says "AU-55" here ... assuming that it's a genuine slab, that is (for those of you who have Jim Elmen's mail-bid auction catalog for the upcoming May auction, be sure to read the introduction -- especially the last two paragraphs -- to see what he really thinks about slabbing coins! :ninja: )

Here's the link:

Gold 5 roubles, 1897 (NGC AU-55) -- going for over $300! ;)

I would like to direct your attention to the following details:

1. Obverse

- Hair

- Ear

- marks in field and on neck

2. Reverse

- eagle's neck, especially on the right

- crowns

Additionally, there seems to be a general lack of luster on this coin -- but that could be due to the poor photography. Mint luster is one of the main criteria for grading any coins AU or better.

If you didn't know that this was slabbed, would you have graded it any higher than XF? (I wouldn't... ;) )

... for those of you who have Jim Elmen's mail-bid auction catalog for the upcoming May auction, be sure to read the introduction -- especially the last two paragraphs -- to see what he really thinks about slabbing coins! :ninja:

Paragraph before the last one only proves that James is not familiar with grading of blanks. Nothing more. He assumed that there will be a grade assigned for a blank, but there will not be any. Only authenticity will be checked and blank will be slabbed as authentic.

Here is a blank of S. African Pond, check what it said on NGC slab. There is no grade. http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/7326876/ZAR...et_ND_1900.html

About 5 Ruble, most likely pictures are poor (show no luster but in reality there is most of it present on the coin) and the grade is correct. Lightly circulated piece. The price is already too high. IMHO

WCO

Paragraph before the last one only proves that James is not familiar with grading of blanks. Nothing more. He assumed that there will be a grade assigned for a blank, but there will not be any. Only authenticity will be checked and blank will be slabbed as authentic.

I'm sure that Jim Elmen is familiar with everything that goes on in the world of coins. He obviously wrote this very "tongue in cheek" ... :ninja: You take him much too seriously!

I'm sure that Jim Elmen is familiar with everything that goes on in the world of coins. He obviously wrote this very "tongue in cheek" ... ;) You take him much too seriously!

How people say in Russia, “in every joke there is a bit of truth” (в каждой шутке есть доля правды). :ninja:

WCO

Archived