CoinPeople.com

Nickels

Dads Stuff

You might be able to sell them for more than face on e-Bay, but it likely would not be worth the time or expense. I know I save them when I come across them (so someday my heirs will have the same problem), but you might want to see if a collector on the board would be interested in buying them for face plus shipping, that way a collector might be able to use them and you would come out the same as if you had spent them.

I have 277 circulated nickels from 1939 thru 1959. Is there any reason not to turn them loose into circulation?

I wouldn't turn them loose. Use it as a learning experience. Check them for varieties, RPMs, DD, strike errors, etc. Why not list out how many of what you have, and we can use this thread as a walkthrough on cherrypicking some older nickels. I personally keep all nickels pre-1966, since that variety is without the designer's initials. Just a "curiosity" I hold on to.

I would keep the key/semi-key dates.....I think the 39-D and S and the 50-D (and 40% silvers) are the only ones worth keeping really. I don't recall off the top of my head if any others are worth much more though. I've spent plenty of common, but old circ jeffies and lincolns over the years. In the last few months I released about twenty rolls of Xf-Au-ish 1950's-1960's Jeffersons with no questions.

Archived