CoinPeople.com

A question about authenticity

ulysses

Dear fellow members and collectors,

lately I have acquired the following coin:

943671.jpg

And since the time I got it, I keep having doubts about its authenticity. The poor centering along with the very thin lines in the letters coupled with the poor details of the bust fills my heart with doubts.

If you could provide me with your comments and opinions about the authenticity of this piece I would more than obliged and grateful.

detailed description of the coin:

Gold Solidus Honorius RIC 8 (X, Arcadius) & 201 (X, Theodosius II) Solidus Obv: DNHONORIVSPFAVG - Helmeted, diademed, cuirassed bust facing, holding spear over shoulder and shield. Rev: CONCORDIAAVGG? Exe:*/CONOB - Constantinopolis seated, facing, stepping on galley prow, holding scepter and Victory on globe. 408-423 (Constantinopolis).

Kind regards,

Ulysses

It looks ok to me, but I know there are fakes of this type of coin.

I wouldn't worry to much about the centering as these were struck by hand and you can often find ones struck off center.

It's hard to make out the detail very clearly on the picture, is it a scan?

Hus

The poor centering along with the very thin lines in the letters coupled with the poor details of the bust fills my heart with doubts.
Not really my cup of tea, but your particular reasons for doubt don't seem too reasonable when looking at a coin which predates the collar and coin press by many centuries. Well centered strikes and perfectly round edges didn't become common until those developments in the coiner's art.

The picture is a scan 300px, still could not figure out how to make good photos of coins using cameras!

The centering is not my my doubt, it is the letters and the detail of the bust. The feeling of the coin is not oily so I do not think it was casted but comparing it with other coins I have it seems as if it was struck by a die that was worn out. May be the last coin struck by the ancient die,:ninja: but ever since I bought this coin I did not find that soothing feeling I get when getting such coins!

Archived