CoinPeople.com

Help coin with Inscription

Drusus

Obv: Laureate draped and cuirsassed bust right / LEOPOLDVS • D[ei] • G[ratia] (15) • R[omanorvm] • I[mperator] • S[emper] • A[vgvstvs] • G[ermaniae] • H[vngariae] • E[t] • B[ohemiae] • REX

Rev: Crowned Imperial Arms with oval state shield on chest and mint mark below / ARCHI[dux] • AVS[triae] • E[t] • CAR[ynthia] • INT[imus]? • DVX • BVR[gvndiae] • 1663

I figure this is what we have as a Translation: Leopold, by the Grace of God, Emperor of the Romans, always Augustus, King of Germany, Hungary, and Bohemia / Archduke of Austria and Carynthia (Intimate?) Duke of Burgundy

Now I could be wrong but was Leopold I a Duke of Burgundy? I didnt think so...

Without doubt the coin shows INT before DVX BVR, I am assuming it means Intimus...is that wrong? Does it mean Inter?

ugh...never mind...just realized it is CARINT[hia] and not CAR • INT

still though, I did not find him as a Duke of Burgundy...all the same :ninja:

Leopold, by the Grace of God, Emperor of the Romans, always Augustus, King of Germany, Hungary, and Bohemia / Archduke of Austria and Carynthia, Duke of Burgundy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Burgu....281482-1780.29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_I,_Holy_Roman_Emperor

In 1477, the territory of the Duchy of Burgundy was annexed by France. In the same year, Mary married Maximilian, Archduke of Austria, giving the Habsburgs control of the remainder of the Burgundian Inheritance.

Although the territory of the Duchy of Burgundy itself remained in the hands of France, the Habsburgs remained in control of the title of Duke of Burgundy and the other parts of the Burgundian inheritance, notably the Low Countries and the Free County of Burgundy in the Holy Roman Empire. They often used the term Burgundy to refer to it (e.g. in the name of the Imperial Circle it was grouped into), until the late 18th century, when the Austrian Netherlands were lost to French Republic

I did read that before though Leopold I is not listed there. So I guess he was Duke of part of Burgundy but at the time (1663) Philip VII is listed as the Duke of Burgundy. I guess the title was kind of split.

Archived