CoinPeople.com

Sun King Louis XIV Coin

Marl

I need a little more information on the following coin:

Coin: Bronze

Front of Coin: Depicts King Louis XIV of France, facing right, with the following words: LVDOVICVS MAGNVS REX CHRISTIANISSIMVS

Back of coin: Looks like a knight mounted on a horse yeilding a sword and shield. The shield looks like a figure of a woman depicted on it. The verbiage on the back goes as follows (as what I can read): MILIT S HIEROSOL RESTITVIVS and REGR SERTORE ET SVMMO DVCE

Lastly the date: MDCLXXII (1672)

From rearching the coin, I know it is an art medal issued during King Louis XIV and dated 1672. However, for the specific event, I can not find the information. I have looked on the website www.cgb.fr that has quite a list of these medals issued by King Louis XIV, but this one is not listed there.

On a side note, the coin was found by my friend when he was 12 and the year 1931 or 1932 in a pile of sand.

I'll try to post the pic later this week. Any information would be appreciated.

Marl

• 2 weeks later...

French Kingdom of Louis XIV, 1643-1715. Silver medal 1672, by Jean Roettiers, on the re-establishment of the military medal of Saint Lazare de Jerusalem / The King Bust right / knight rides right with sword raised, Madonna on shield.

01866q00.jpg

here is an example of the medal, I have only found silver examples but that does not mean there werent ones made of bronze...if you dont mind me saying so, I think yours is a loose copy of the original series, it doesnt have the same makers initials even. The medal I linked above sold in 2005 for 1,500.00 USD

Yes, it wouldn't suprise me either if it was a copy. I know some of the medals were re-issued and this may have been one of them.

French Kingdom of Louis XIV, 1643-1715. Silver medal 1672, by Jean Roettiers, on the re-establishment of the military medal of Saint Lazare de Jerusalem / The King Bust right / knight rides right with sword raised, Madonna on shield.

01866q00.jpg

here is an example of the medal, I have only found silver examples but that does not mean there werent ones made of bronze...if you dont mind me saying so, I think yours is a loose copy of the original series, it doesnt have the same makers initials even. The medal I linked above sold in 2005 for 1,500.00 USD

Archived