CoinPeople.com

Gold and Silver mavens...

Bob,

I hope this is not too stupid a question, but the 50 kopeek, it certainly looks like a proof, but a lot of detail seems to be missing. Is it a weak strike or could the coin have circulated?

All ther other coins are just wonderful. :ninja:

It's hard to say ... could be due to the lighting. The obverse looks UNC to me, whereas the reverse shows some rub on the high places which might be due to sliding around in a tray. In general, proof coins should be very well struck, so I don't think it's a weak strike. Probably it's a combination of rich patina, small image resolution and the lighting, plus rub from sliding. Obviously, these pictures were not taken to scale, so the 20 kopek coin right beneath it looks a lot better than the 50 kopek piece simply because it is higher resolution.

It's hard to say ... could be due to the lighting. The obverse looks UNC to me, whereas the reverse shows some rub on the high places which might be due to sliding around in a tray. In general, proof coins should be very well struck, so I don't think it's a weak strike. Probably it's a combination of rich patina, small image resolution and the lighting, plus rub from sliding. Obviously, these pictures were not taken to scale, so the 20 kopek coin right beneath it looks a lot better than the 50 kopek piece simply because it is higher resolution.

Thanks.

The other Moneti and Medali auction, #49 for Copper, also has some great stuff. You can get to it from the same link, at the top of the page.

Moneti and Medali state that an export permit is required to send any lots out of the country, however, they are unable to provide it. :ninja:

Archived