CoinPeople.com

Metal Detectors

bahabully

I've never found anything deeper than 3 feet.....at least without being on an excavation site from the old fort 'round here. We dug down 4ft and about 350 years ago. My best find wasn't the pottery or the arrowheads it was the "dark soil" left over from posts in the ground marking the edge of an old dwelling at the edge of the fort boundry. All told together we found about 12 posts and a fire pit from the dwelling, along with a bucket of pottery, beads, and arrowheads. Good times, too bad we had to close the site for the winter, bleh.

The ground freezes in Wisconsin, so nature closes the sight fir you!

Same reason ours was closed. :ninja:

Just a suggestion but regardless of where you search with a metal detector, you may want to check with local authorities first. It's not the detecting but the attempt to dig up something that maybe you just shouldn't want to dig up. Of course in some areas there may not be anyone to give permission. but in any large industrial area or city there could be things down there dangerous to touch with a shovel. Many people have hit gas, water, sewer pipes or even things that could explode. Around me they always stress to contact an organization even if your planning on planting a tree or bush. Then in some areas there are direct buried cables such as fiber optics, phone lines, other communication wires. And example of this is in Illinois ComEd has installed a fiber optic system in the ground to communicate with all of their sites. Many other states also have those systems.

Be carefull out there.

Archived