CoinPeople.com

:ninja: any help IDing would be greatly appreciated

The obverse says "Four hundreth anniversary of the reformation 1517-1917"and it has calvin , luther,knox and zwingli.

on The reverse by the foot of the woman are the words'CALDWELL CO".

I have not been able to find out much about it so far.is it rare is it valuable?

Picture_3_039.jpg

Picture_3_040.jpg

From Medals at Lexpub.com

"Date: 1917 Diameter: 37mm Medallist: Caldwell Country: Germany Struck: Bronze Description: OBV: Right-facing bust of Calvin with three left-facing busts of the Reformers Luther, Zwingli, and Knox, encircled by inscription: FOUR HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE REFORMATION • 1517-1917 • REV: Liberty stands next to open book holding staff with city of Gebäude in background all encircled in decorative wreath and signed CALDWELL CC. References: Whiting #862"

I did not see anything as to value though.

Only thing you already had most of it. I'm not sure what the reference to "Whiting #862" I did find this But I'm not sure which of the Whitings is the one is referenced. I assume its " Whiting R.B.: Collection Prof. Robert B. Whiting, Coins and medals of Martin Luther and the Reformation. Spink/Bullowa Auction, Zurich, 1983."

Hello TheKaiser94!!

Mark is correct about this item. However, the medal pictures Calvin, Zwingli, Knox and Jacques Lefevre (not Luther). The only listing I've seen for this item is in the Whiting catalog. It is possible that it is only listed in Whiting due to its rarity. It is also possible that it is only listed there due to its relative 'newness'. A medal from 1917 isn't incredibly old as far as Reformation items are concerned. I have the same medal in my collection, however mine does not have the loop and ribbon as yours does. This medal sold in the Whiting auction for $45, but that was in 1983. Are you interested in selling it? I am always looking to add items like this to my collection.

Thanks for posting!

Bob King

Oops... I guess I should have clarified:

"Whiting" refers to a large coin auction from 1983. The auction house was Spink/Bullowa. They auctioned off a collection of Reformation coins and medals owned by Robert Whiting. The auction catalog is often referenced by collectors of Reformation coins and medals.

Archived