CoinPeople.com

state quarter error ?

mycorob

I hate those topics that have a question mark after the word 'error', but I can't help myself here.

I just found a Mississippi quarter (P mintmark) in a roll of quarters from my bank (not an uncirculated roll). It stood out rather quickly; it has no copper color on the rim. The rim is 100% silver in color, so much so that I was certain it was a pre 1965 quarter. Otherwise, it looks perfectly normal.

Any ideas?

Not sure how relevant it is but I'll weigh it in my lab in the morning to get the exact weight to see if it is off at all.

I'm positive, if it's a "P" mintmarked quarter it is a silver or "platinum" plated coin that was sold on one of those TV networks. I found both the "platinum" and gold versions in change, and my dealer buys them at face value, and sells them for a nickel over face. They are basically a ruined unc quarter, and other than a novelty item, isn't worth much over a quarter.

Thanks for the input. That really sucks that someone would plate a perfectly good state quarter. I see them sold for insane amounts on late night infomercials though. Maybe some kid really wanted a gumball or something.

Come to think of it, this is the first 'P' mintmark state quarter I've ever found here in Denver -- you can imagine that we are inundated with 'D' mintmarks. I think that kind of supports the 'silver' or 'platinum' plated theory.

I'll weigh it tomorrow and verify that it is weighs slightly more than the standard weight for quarters.

It's unlikely that it will weigh more, depending who made it anyway. Most are basically electroplated but some are actually plated, so it's like 1/100th of a mm or so thick; regardless, that little amount shouldn't account for more than a few tenths (or less) of a gram.

It's strange you haven't found many P state quarters until now in Denver, I live 45 minutes or so east of Philly and I find D minted state quarters all the time. The funny part about it, I can always spot them mixed with P quarters, they are nearly prooflike compared to a P minted quarter, always bright and glossy, and rarely nicked up. Too bad the mint on my end can't do the same, friggin hacks.

my scale is sensitive sensitive to 1/2 milligram - i'll weigh it out of curiosity's sake.

You're right about the Denver and Philly mint. When I was on the east coast i could find die cracks on state quarters all the time. I haven't found a single one out here on a D quarter. One one hand, the Denver mint makes beautiful coins, but on the other hand, if we didn't have the Philly mint we might not have all these awesome errors we see :ninja:

on the other hand, if we didn't have the Philly mint we might not have all these awesome errors we see :ninja:

Haha, so true, so true. *cough*extracornleaf*cough*

Hah, I did something similar with a gold plated SQ. Saw it standing out in my roll for laundry and I was convinced it was a Sac with a SQ stamp or something...

Archived