CoinPeople.com

Лев Николаевич Толстой 1828-1910 года

Scottishmoney

tolstoymedalf.jpg

tolstoymedalr.jpg

17 grammes of .900 fine gold, ca. 1976. These were marketed to foreigners, through Mezhnumizmatika in Moscow during the 1970's. When they were sold then, the prices were high and few people bought them. On the second photograph, my camera started playing games and I could not get a good image so will try scanning later. It comes in a fairly typical cheap case, at least it has been well protected even if the outside of the case is typically Soviet ugly.

How much do these go for these days?

As I recall back in the Soviet days they were outrageously expensive, and not really available to the locals. Anything in precious metals was mostly for export. Even the now dirt cheap 1977-1980 Olympic silver coins were impossible and unaffordable. I think 5 rouble coins were sold for 50, and 10 rouble once for a 100. Considering that most russians were officially earning only about 200 to 300 roubles/month (many got less) these prices were a bit high. I think you could get an Anna rouble for about that much or less. Mind you my understanding is not based on personal experience, I was a toddler at the time:)

Well the price on this one is dictated by where I bought it, a small town in the Midwest of the USA where it has absolutely no interests. I paid melt @ 17 grammes for it. It might do well on eBay or Molotok if I were interested in selling it, but actually I would like one of the Yurii Gagarin or Jack London medals and hope I can trade it sometime.

Archived