CoinPeople.com

Countryside, Il coin show

just carl

ooooh... I can make it. Where is it again, carl? You've told me before but I'm too lazy to look through the threads.

It's that South Western Suburb of Chicago. Street wise about 6600 South. It's about one block West of LaGrange Road on the South side of the Road. LaGrange Road is also known as Manheim Road on the North side suburbs. It is where Lagrange Road and Joliet Road meet. A lage Ford Dealership on the corner. Just West of the Ford place, second large black building in the rear. Massive large parking lot. Parking is free, entrance to show is free. Coffee is not free and is horrible. Usually opens at 9AM so that is when I get there.

More like dinner :ninja:

Yeah... thats what happens when you spend the afternoon at a coin show.

Anywho, my recap:

Awesome show. Nothing too special but it was a great size and I found a lot I wanted/needed. Too bad that Christmas and a ski trip is coming up so I've already spent too much money and will be spending a ton more. But, I found it in my heart to buy myself some notes and a coin.

1907 Barber dime in XF... not pretty but it was an OK price. The dealer got somewhat annoying... I need it for the set and these XF-AU graded barbers are harder to come by than their better graded counterparts. This monthly show will help boost the collection.

935722.jpg

1928 C $1 Silver Certificate. A key to the whole regularly-issued $1 cert. series starting 1923. Let's just say, I saw more 1928Es or 1790's cents or red UNC early 19th C copper or Hawaii/North Africa star notes than I did 1928Cs. Only one more note needed (1923 Woods-Tate) to finish the reg-issue series set I started.... The star notes on the other hand... those will be tough.

I got it for an excellent price. I'm not happy with the condition but since they're so hard to come by, I took it anyway. If I find a nicer one, I can pawn this one off very easily to help pay for the nicer one.

910936A.jpg

910936B.jpg

The nice thing about searching for the harder-to-find notes is that dealers always know if they have one or not. I don't have to sift through dozens of notes just to find it, I can usually just look for their featured notes or ask away. Makes searching the bourse easy and efficient.

Also, I got a 1935 D narrow margins star note. I actually thought I had this one, then went through my collection realized one was mislabelled or something. Turns out I didn't have it. I got this for a good deal. It's nice and crisp and has good embossing. I got home to take it off my "need list" and I apparently already bought one at the last show... thats what happens when you don't wake up early to prepare your list.

910943A.jpg

910943B.jpg

I also saw some awesome coins and notes I don't have. I was really really tempted by quite a selection: proof barber dimes, gorgeously toned half dimes and seated dimes, low-hundred dollar range early coppers (1790s and 1800s), trade dollars, 1923 Woods Tate in great condition, TWO Hawaii star silver certs! and... the one I was most tempted by Star North Africa note... Only $300 but I've got X-mas gifts to buy!!!!! GAH! So rare and hard to find, ESPECIALLY in an affordable condition!!!

What a show. Thanks Carl. I'll try to make it every month. I've actually bought from some of those dealers when I go to Baltimore.

• 3 months later...

Archived