CoinPeople.com

What do you get if you win this auction?

grivna1726

Link to ebay auction.

The coin is offered by a vendor in China and is described as "Rare PETER II - 1 Rouble 1690 Silver coin--EF".

Why a rouble of Peter II (1727-29) was struck in 1690, well before he became Tsar, let alone before he was born, is unexplained. :ninja:

The supplied picture (showing a coin dated 1690) bears a certain resemblance to a silver coin (an ecu, perhaps) of Louis XIV of France.

d265_1.JPGd695_1.JPG

Anyway, interesting coin: it is an Louis XIV struck over Louis XIII I guess (It is clear visible ..VD.XII... at the top of the obverse)

There seems to have been a fairly extensive overstriking program in the French silver coinage. I don't know why, maybe there was a revalidation/revaluation program?

I just like the portrait! :ninja:

Well, Louis XIV and Peter II did have similar-looking wigs and Louis's monogram on the coin reverse does sort of resemble that of Peter II.

Perhaps the Russian die-cutters might have used the French product as an inspiration?

Certainly Peter I took the time to visit and tour the Paris mint in 1717. If he liked what he saw there (e.g. Duvivier's medallic work) then it's not hard to imagine that he might have been pleased if the Russian mint used the French coins and medals as inspiration for Russian coins (which could have survived him until Peter II became Tsar).

But this is just speculation on my part.

• 4 weeks later...
Link to ebay auction.

The coin is offered by a vendor in China and is described as "Rare PETER II - 1 Rouble 1690 Silver coin--EF".

Why a rouble of Peter II (1727-29) was struck in 1690, well before he became Tsar, let alone before he was born, is unexplained. :ninja:

The supplied picture (showing a coin dated 1690) bears a certain resemblance to a silver coin (an ecu, perhaps) of Louis XIV of France.

d265_1.JPGd695_1.JPG

Strange! This seller sold[at the bottem of his feedbacks]a "rare 1929 Peter 2nd silver rouble" with the portrate of the one I bought from a Chinese dealer.This makes 5 of these I have found in the last two days.Not Good.Also Germanand other europian items from the 19th-18th centuries. MAC

Archived