CoinPeople.com

Screw Press Images

rittenhouse

I remembered. Here you go. These images and others are located on my website at http://user.pa.net/~hvymtl. Feel free to download for your own use. If you use in articles please credit the sources.

Boulton1.jpg

Boulton Press in operation (from Cooper)

boulton2.jpg

Bouton Press Engineering Drawing (from American Edition New Edinburg Ency. 1815)

leaf_srping_press.jpg

Drawing of press using leaf spring to hold upper die block against screw (from Cooper)

counterweight_press1.jpg

Counterweight type press - heavy weight on levers held upper die block against screw (from Cooper)

cooper%20press.jpg

Advanced screw press showing mechanical assembly to hold die block against screw and prevent torsion - Paris Mint 1801 (from Cooper)

screw%20presses%20ackerman%20small.jpg

5 Man screw press operation - Tower Mint circa 1810 (from Ackerman's Microcosm)

Here is drawing of a screw press used in Russia.

http://www.picatom.com/b/1-967.html

Drawing was made in 1830-s. Rittenhouse, what do you think, was there rotational momentum on an upper die? How movement from screw was passed on a die?

WCO

P.S. For those who can read Russian: При работе пресса винт вращаясь одновременно опускался. Вращение от винта, его торцевой части, передавалось на прямоугольный (в разрезе) рабочий орган с помощью трения. Торец винта вращался по верхней вертикальной поверхности рабочего органа. При этом существовали два момента, один - толкающий рабочий орган вниз, другой - старающийся повернуть рабочий орган в направлении вращения винта. Рабочий орган был установлен в направляющих в виде прямоугольных вырезов, которые должны были предотвратить его поворот, однако люфты были огромны, с течением времени и смятием (износом) направляющих и рабочего органа они становились ещё больше, прямоугольный рабочий орган мог легко поворачиваться в направляющих на несколько градусов. При возрастании усилия нажатия пресса, вращающий момент так-же увеличивался, он мог превысить вертикальные силы нажатия на заготовку, особенно в момент пластической деформации металла.

Drawing was made in 1830-s. Rittenhouse, what do you think, was there rotational momentum on an upper die? How movement from screw was passed on a die?

WCO

This type of press was not used in the 1830s for coinage at St. Petersburg.

It would have, however, been used for medals and proof coins. The question

you ask, about rotation of the dies, was fully answered in another thread.

RWJ

This type of press was not used in the 1830s for coinage at St. Petersburg.

It would have, however, been used for medals and proof coins. The question

you ask, about rotation of the dies, was fully answered in another thread.

RWJ

Thank you RWJ. If you think it was answered then you are mistaken. I looked up details of presses of that time. The press on the picture has little details so it is easy to explain what could result in rotational momentum on a die. Boulton press had about the same principles so what said on Russian (above) applies to Boulton press as well. And in another thread the question was “What changed direction of flows of metal during plastic deformations of a blank” not “what could possibly affect a strike”. Rittenhouse answered the second question (which I never asked), and about the first one he said it is “Unknown”. If the second question would be of interest from the beginning I would add to his list “what could possibly affect a strike” several reasons of my own to the eight he already provided. And believe you or not something that is “unknown” to you and Rittenhouse may be very well “known” to scientists that work in research institutions in this field. However, all I see there is luck of interest to continue discussion. RWJ, by saying “The question you ask… was fully answered in another thread” you actually said “I am not interested in farther discussion”. OK then.

WCO

Thank you RWJ. If you think it was answered then you are mistaken. I looked up details of presses of that time. The press on the picture has little details so it is easy to explain what could result in rotational momentum on a die. Boulton press had about the same principles so what said on Russian (above) applies to Boulton press as well. And in another thread the question was “What changed direction of flows of metal during plastic deformations of a blank” not “what could possibly affect a strike”. Rittenhouse answered the second question (which I never asked), and about the first one he said it is “Unknown”. If the second question would be of interest from the beginning I would add to his list “what could possibly affect a strike” several reasons of my own to the eight he already provided. And believe you or not something that is “unknown” to you and Rittenhouse may be very well “known” to scientists that work in research institutions in this field. However, all I see there is luck of interest to continue discussion. RWJ, by saying “The question you ask… was fully answered in another thread” you actually said “I am not interested in farther discussion”. OK then.

WCO

No, the question about die rotation was fully answered by Rittenhouse. The fact that

you did not like the answer does not mean it was not answered.

I note that you mention "scientists that work in research institutions in this field." Please

name them as I am sure that you have been in correspondence with such individuals

and will let us know their views.

RWJ

WCO,

I'll need to be brief here, I'm working to deadlines on two major articles, one for JRNS.

Thank you very much for the neat picture, I downloaded and added to my refs. Cooper had few Russian images. Do you have any others? I don't read Russian but will have translated. I am particularly interested in the die/collar articulation. There were two basic schemes for this - raise the die or depress the collar - but several different articulation for accomplishing.

The press is counterweight type - note the heavy ball weight attached to the curving lever in the side view. Interesting mechanism there, too. Hadn't seen that particular style before. Anyway, the weight/lever held the upper die block (or slider) against the bottom of the screw. The die block is the big rectangular block in the middle of the press to which the upper die holder is attached. It is indicated by the highly stylized "d" in the drawing.

As the screw descends it pushes down on the upper die block causing it and the upper die to descend and effect the strike. The upper die block isolates the upper die from the torque of the screw. The two cross-members (not indicated by a letter) prevent the upper die block from twisting due to the screw torque. This was a fairly common arrangement as can be seen from the leaf spring and counterweight style press images I posted.

It is, however, an older design and was superceded in most mints by the early 1800s with the improved, lighter weight mechanical assemblies seen in the Boulton and 1801 French press images. These designs had significant advantage since they didn't have the heavy and cumbersome counterweight flopping around. The weight reduction and smother mechanical operation resulted in significantly improved coining rates over the counterweight design.

If this drawing is from 1830, it is not a coining press since, as RWJ notes, they were replaced over 2 decades prior by the Bouton press. Screw presses were retained for use in striking medals and proofs and, of course, hubbing dies.

The pull-strap, check rope and collar shown in the drawing does establish that the press as shown was set up for coining proofs or medals. One or more men would pull on the pull-strap ("a") to effect the strike. Another man would likely have been opposite to assist in opening the press and returning the arm to the pressmen for another strike. The check rope shown on the opposite arm (again no letter) was tied off to an anchor bolt sunk into the floor to as a safety precaution - it checked the swing of the arm. The really neat thing about this is that this operating scheme is actually docmented in the historical record by George Eschol Sellers!

If the press had been set up for hubbing the collar mechanism, pull strap and check rope would be removed. The press was then operated like a giant vice to impress the die. This operation is likewise documented in the historical record and Cooper actually shows a photo from an Eastern European mint where a screw press was still being used for hubbing in the mid-20th century! Coopper did tell me the where and when of the photo, but I can't recall off-hand. Maybe Hungary like 1950s or 60s?

The press has a couple other intersting features. First, it's obviously a bruiser - very heavy, probably cast iron or low carbon structural steel. Although it could be bronze. The historical record does document the use of bronze frames in the Paris mint cast from cannon captured during the Napoleaonic war. But, both the sheer size and style of the press tend to indicate cast iron or steel.

Also note the faint outline of the screw and T-shaped nut in the front view (on left). This is a common design feature of screw presses. The mating threads for the screw were not cut into the press frame itself, but rather a large T-shaped nut which was then fit into the press frame and pinned in place. The head of the T nut was also typically a hex shape to further resist twisting. This enabled replacement of the nut when the threads wore out. Otherwise they'd have had to re-bore the press frame. Clever, huh?

Since the press is Russian, I'd really like to do an article for JRNS on it. Could you please supply a reference to the source? I'd also like to credit you with supplying the image so could you please post or PM your name.

Thanks again for the image - very, very cool :ninja:;););) .

Thank you, Rittenhouse. I do not deserve a credit for the drawing of the coining press I found it on the internet. I absolutely agree with you though that it is very cool drawing. There are details and explanations of how everything worked on old-Russian, I can read them easily, but unfortunately unable to translate to English that easy because of many technical/specific words used in descriptions.

WCO

Archived