CoinPeople.com

1919 Dutch Christmas Medal

The Santa Clara Coin Show felt rather slow this weekend, but I met a collector-dealer I've dealt with via the internet and I found this interesting medal:

933366.jpg

The medal carries the hallmark of Christiaan Johannes van der Hoef. He was born in Amsterdam in 1875 and became a master sculptor, graphic artist, medallist, draughtsman, poster designer, and ceramicist. In 1898, he join the ceramic factory, Amstelhoek, and his works are quite valuable. He designed a large number of medals working in the German Jugendstil and is widely collected. He died in 1933.

I lived in Germany in 1968-69 and still remember Christmas Eve when we lit the candles on the Christmas tree. Think of doing that in America today. You might lose your fire insurance coverage! I believe the reverse indicates it was produced in support of a children's relief fund (weenen indicates weeping or a town in South Africa indicating a place of weeping for the slaughter of Boers in the early 1800s), but I welcome a more informed translation or more information.

Nice medal. We had the "German" candle holders and candles on our tree for many years. A good friend of my wife is from Germany and she brought us a box from one of her visits. The kids loved it when we'd light them, but that only happened on Christmas evening and in a very controlled environment. (Atrificial tree with fire retardent. Large extinguisher nearby.)

Coincidentally, I've just been reading up on C.J. van der Hoef after running across a few of his horticulture medals. Art nouveau designs are too overwrought for my taste in larger objects, but I really like them on coins and medals.

Your Christmas tree medal is great. It reminds me of Christmases with my Austrian friend's family, when his mother would light candles on the tree while my friend hovered nearby, clutching the fire extinguisher.

Archived