CoinPeople.com

Provenance of my pyatak (1765-EM novodel)

bobh

In the meantime, I found out some more about this coin which has been discussed in a previous thread:

"Lots of Russian coins here..."

The seller has written that this coin was purchased from a collector on the East Coast who collected Russian coins for more than 25 years. The original flip stated that it was purchased from Jim Elman at one of his auctions in California. Does anyone know which auction this might have been, or have any links to information about it?

Thanks! :ninja:

Hi Bob. I listed 2 Elmen auctions in my reply in that prior thread.

Here they are again:

World Wide #17 (1990) Lot 676 $425

World Wide #40 (2001) Lot 432

Hope that helps

Steve

Thanks very much, Steve. I appreciate it immensely! :ninja: Can you tell if either of these is Brekke 205, and not 206A or B?

It would be great if you could scan the auction catalog pictures (if there are pictures) ... please take a look at my coin (link to my coin) and see if you can match it up with either of these you mentioned. Unfortunately, I don't have any catalogues of the Elmen auctions. Please note the little scratch on the eagle side at about 11 o'clock; it might help find the right image. Also, the coin was struck very slightly off-center (denticles at the bottom are more complete than at the top).

Thank you! ;)

Thanks very much, Steve. I appreciate it immensely! :ninja: Can you tell if either of these is Brekke 205, and not 206A or B?

It would be great if you could scan the auction catalog pictures (if there are pictures) ... please take a look at my coin (link to my coin) and see if you can match it up with either of these you mentioned. Unfortunately, I don't have any catalogues of the Elmen auctions. Please note the little scratch on the eagle side at about 11 o'clock; it might help find the right image. Also, the coin was struck very slightly off-center (denticles at the bottom are more complete than at the top).

Thank you! ;)

You're welcome. ;)

I have all of Elmens catalogs, so if there are images I can certainly check them. I don't have internet at home (just moved house) so can't scan and email, but a manual check of his images should be possible. If anybody else the information Bob is looking for before I can get to my boxes of catalogs, please share.

Steve

It's Lot 432 in WorldWide #40, November 15 2001.

Description: 5 Kopecks 1765 EM Novodel, B-205. AU with traces of mint red (250)

I compared your high resolution image (thanks! :ninja: ) with a high resolution scan I have from the auction. It's the same coin (down to the matching scratches on the monogram).

Ah...I just checked WW17 (17 May 1990). Same coin.

So Jim Elmen has had this one come through his sales at least twice.

Steve

It's Lot 432 in WorldWide #40, November 15 2001.

Description: 5 Kopecks 1765 EM Novodel, B-205. AU with traces of mint red (250)

I compared your high resolution image (thanks! ;) ) with a high resolution scan I have from the auction. It's the same coin (down to the matching scratches on the monogram).

Ah...I just checked WW17 (17 May 1990). Same coin.

So Jim Elmen has had this one come through his sales at least twice.

Steve

;) ;) Wow -- THANK YOU, Steve!

One last question ... you mentioned the price realized in the earlier auction ... what was the final sale price of the 2001 auction? Considering the current state of affairs regarding pricing of Russian coins, I think I got a real bargain on this one at just under $800.

Cheers! :ninja:

Does anyone have these catalogs for sale, or know of a source? I looked on eBay and Google, but none have appeared except for the auction of Randolph Zander's numismatic library which Alexander Basok has for sale on http://www.rustypennies.com.

Jim sells them directly ($10 each). They're a must-have especially the Brekke sales catalogs...:ninja: I can send you his email in a private message (don't want any spam robots to pick up email addresses in these threads).

I don't have the Nov 2001 prices realized...I'm missing that sheet (if anyone has a scan please let me know!)

Steve

Jim sells them directly ($10 each). They're a must-have especially the Brekke sales catalogs...:ninja: I can send you his email in a private message (don't want any spam robots to pick up email addresses in these threads).

I don't have the Nov 2001 prices realized...I'm missing that sheet (if anyone has a scan please let me know!)

Steve

Hi Steve and Bob, I have all the Elmen catalogs and can do scans of that coin if wanted. In #XVII it fetched $425 (can scan list of prices realized) and in #XL it fetched a mere $275 (I was underbidder and noted only the prices concerning myself, thus do not have the list of prices realized) Sigi

Hi Steve and Bob, I have all the Elmen catalogs and can do scans of that coin if wanted.

Hello Sigi! Thanks for your offer -- but I hope that I can order the paper catalogs directly from Mr. Elmen.

In #XVII it fetched $425 (can scan list of prices realized) and in #XL it fetched a mere $275 (I was underbidder and noted only the prices concerning myself, thus do not have the list of prices realized) Sigi

I'm sure that whoever bought it in 1987 for $425 was not too happy about that ... :ninja: If you had bid the price listed in the Brekke 1987 supplement (i.e., $375 in AU), probably you would now be the proud owner of this coin! That is, unless you had decided to sell it in the meantime...

Archived