CoinPeople.com

1859 Rouble

janneen

Bitkin mentions two versions of this coin. I can't see the difference. Can You help me?

What does "die in relief" mean?

1_1193838496_86_Rouble%201859.jpg

I have looked through cataloques of several auction houses. Very many coins seem a little bit different, but this one seems to be Bitkin 566.

Well I'll just continue to dicuss this matter with myself:

I found these two 1859 roubles (Items 1508 and 1509) from this auction cataloque.

They are both marked with "Bitkin 566" but to me they seem different for example when texts of "heads" side

are compared.

http://www.sixbid.com/home/auctions/mmamer...AlexanderII.pdf

My own coin is exactly like 1509.

Bitkin mentions two versions of this coin. I can't see the difference. Can You help me?

What does "die in relief" mean?

I have looked through cataloques of several auction houses. Very many coins seem a little bit different, but this one seems to be Bitkin 566.

The "die in relief" means that the relief is higher. A better way of stating this,

perhaps, is to say "high" and "low" relief for the two varieties. This difference

in relief is also seen on the 1913 Tercentenary rouble.

RWJ

Ideas, anyone?

What do you think why these two roubles I mentioned earlier seemed different (Both were Bitkin 566)? For example text of "heads side" is different.

More varieties, perhaps?

(Items 1508 and 1509 of this auction cataloque)

http://www.sixbid.com/home/auctions/mmamer...AlexanderII.pdf

The link does not work. -----> ("Error 404 - Not found

Die angegebene Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden.").

Perhaps the legends were still punched into the dies by hand after the design elements were present? :ninja:

Archived