CoinPeople.com

Henry II Tealby/Cross and Crosslet Penny

YeOldeCollector

Here we have a Henry II 'Tealby' called so due to the large hoard of these coins found at Tealby. Their proper name is Cross and Crosslet Pennies but I prefer Tealby! :ninja:

Tealbies are relatively scarce as complete coins so I was lucky to get this one, only problem is the slight mistrike.

Obverse, sceptre clearly visible on left with nose, chin, mouth and eyes nice and sharp towards the top right of the coin. The key to ID'ing classes is the hair and chin so was quite a hard task.

Tealbyy2.JPG

Reverse, cross and crosslets stand out in 3 quarters, the fourth is a bit worn.

Tealbyy1.JPG

This penny is Class F, Nichole of Ipswich. Spink ref; 1342.

Another beauty, Clive. But take care! Mine are in pieces, one 4 bits the other 2. Handling these beasts is not reccomended! How the people of the times managed without all the coins in their purses disintergrating I can't figure out! :ninja:;)

Huseyin,

Doubt that it is formidable but I have a great passion for hammered coinage and a knack for finding bargains! :ninja:

Richard,

I know what you mean, they were struck on very thin flans and were mis-struck anyway leading to poor quality. Luckily the changeover to Short Cross improved things!

I had to order some capsules in for the specific size of the Tealby for fear of cracking and splitting!

All the best,

Clive.

You can call me Hus if you like that’s my nick name. :ninja:

Although my passion is mainly milled I have a great respect for hammered and hammered collectors like you and Geordie. Each hammered coin has its own individuality and features. The British hammered coinage is huge and with such a lot to learn and so many different varieties.

I could easily find myself collecting hammered one day!

As for bargains good for you I wish I could find more. I seem to be a bit dry on the bargain front lately.

Hus,

Many thanks! There are not many hammered coin collectors around and hardly any on this forum!

Geordie,

Some of those pennies were going for over £2000 it's far too much its almost insane! :ninja:

Archived