CoinPeople.com

1998 p filled B bottom

Thats cool Corky, I can see it :ninja:

So now, what do we all think about the possibility that the die that was being used for these p minted Lincolns cracked/broke and caused the bottom of the B to fill and eventually it broke off and caused the indentation in the other Lincoln cent?

If we are somewhat certain about this being a fact, then to whom do we speak about whether or not that particular die has been documented as being the culprit?

Corky

like i said... its not a die problem... its just gunk... maybe grease... but that is where your dropped letter came from.... very cool to have the before and after... if ever decide you dont want the coins anymore...let me know

If you want them then I better keep them.

IF I find another impressed Lincoln forehead cent I will let you know... then maybe we can talk...

Thanks Ye Lost One,

Corky

0 my 0 my 0 my, I wonder where the zero went.

Look at what I found yesterday.

Take a close look over Lincoln's right eye.

Unfortunately I have not found where this one came from.

Oh, I have several of the filled bottom 'B's', but did not find another forehead to match.

Corky

(((for 1 strike)))

Bummer, does that mean I won't be able to find another filled bottom B for you? Not fair.

Boy, I am batting about 2 out of 2,000 now. Been looking at a lot of bu rolls of pennies I purchased from a couple nice guys on ebay. One roll has a nice progressive die crack which I tried to get on cp, but it won't let me post all three together. Another roll had about a dozen Lincolns with die cracks that look eeriely like the earlier models. Will try to get some side by side comparisons posted.

More pennies to check and lots of time to do them.

By the way, if the hunk of gunk only lasts one strike (probably), does that mean they are rare?

I know, it doesn't mean they are worth any more than I would be willing to invest...

Corky

kewl nice find!!! i bet its worth more than a pennie!!!

Hi Dustin,

I certainly hope it is worth at least 1.50, what I probably paid for the roll. I have a bunch more that I have been waiting to look through, all from 95 through 2007. Later I will start on 2003p, maybe more goodies will show up.

Don't know what it is with me being able to spot these oddities. Guess maybe it is my ability to notice things that don't belong where they are. I was a good 'spotter' when my elders took me out hunting in my very early years. Could find everything from quail to deer without a problem. I have been apologizing to the critters ever since I got old enough to realize what I was doing to them, so now I can take it out on pennies and feel good about myself.

Corky

of course im a hillbillie and spend hours and hours in the woods. its peaceful but i do hunt im a very good tracker. i think hunting is important because if we by chance have a huge crisis we have to survive on something..now i wanna go mushroom hunting!!

dustin

In the first post I see where the bottom of the B of lIBERTY broke off the die and left a raised area on the coin - these are rather common.

As for the other comments, well, I don't understand most of them...die breaks and dropped letters have nothing to do with one another.

As for the other comments, well, I don't understand most of them...die breaks and dropped letters have nothing to do with one another.

Hi Chuck,

Well you got a lot of people here that do not know nearly as much about these oddities on Lincolns as they would like to know. We are full of speculation and ideas, but not as knowlegeable as you are on the subject. Nothing quite measures up to the years and years of experience you have in the field.

I think it is sort of like my husband trying to teach me new things on the computer... he being a senior software engineer for a very large world-wide company... he says he knows too much to be able to explain to me how it all works. I can get quite a lecture of why something does what it does and I do not understand a word of it.

Here on CP we can keep posting fun pictures of coins, keep asking each other what it could be, and hopefully begin to understand why it came to be. Even when I take a special coin to the dealer and he looks and says it is a very common anomaly I say that I am not disagreeing with him, but just want to know how it happens.

I have only been doing this coin collecting for a few months now and am enjoying it immensely. Having others on the CP forum to share finds and ideas has been a great help to me.

Thanks for all your input!

Corky

Archived