CoinPeople.com

Netherlands Guilder Question

Scottishmoney

French - I cashed in some 1990s 200FF notes recently and found to my surprise that their redeemability ends next spring! There's a good chance that some other notes/series, especially the ones denominated in old pre-1960 francs may have had "expiry" dates shortly after the euro changeover. Not sure though.

It seems like Netherlands guilder denominated notes from before 1945 are no longer redeemable like the post 1945 notes, is this the case?

Here is a list of NLG notes that currently can still be redeemed.

http://www.dnb.nl/dnb/home?lang=en&id=tcm:47-147939

What the DNB (like some other central banks) does is, once a note or coin is recalled, you can redeem it for a certain period of time - say, 20 or 30 years. After that redemption period, the note is only of collector value.

Christian

There's a good chance that some other notes/series, especially the ones denominated in old pre-1960 francs may have had "expiry" dates shortly after the euro changeover. Not sure though.

Such deadlines do not have anything to do with the euro, and yes, some FRF notes cannot be redeemed any more or have an "expiry date" some time in the near future. Again, the issuing central bank's website usually provides such information - in this case:

http://www.banque-france.fr/gb/instit/billets/page1.htm

(scroll to the bottom)

The end of the redemption period for "pre-euro" cash always refers to the notes and coins that the euro cash replaced. (February 2012 in the case of French franc notes.) Whether earlier issues can be redeemed, or not, varies from country to country.

Christian

Thanks Tabbs. I am buying a 25 Guilder from 1945(Frans Hals painting), just wondered for curiousity whether it was still valid, but apparently it lost monetary status back in the 1970's. It appears as though Netherlands is quite liberal with the 30 year redemption period after the withdrawl. I remember the first time I was in Netherlands I was spending some of the 1960's 5 and 10 Fl notes and they were accepted, but I never saw many of them in circulation. I do remember getting coins from 1948 and the 1950's in circulation though, which I thought was neat.

I want to get nice 5 and 10 DM notes from the 1948 issue in Germany sometime also, they go along with my collecting theme, and I know they are the oldest redeemable notes in Germany.

I want to get nice 5 and 10 DM notes from the 1948 issue in Germany sometime also, they go along with my collecting theme, and I know they are the oldest redeemable notes in Germany.

May well be so. I just know that, with only one exception*, every coin or note issued in this country (Federal Republic of Germany) can still be redeemed. As for older money ... well, those notes may be exceptions the other way round then. :ninja:

(* the 2 DM coin issued in 1951 which looks pretty much like the 1 DM coin - then again, any dealer will gladly pay you much more than face for that one)

Christian

May well be so. I just know that, with only one exception*, every coin or note issued in this country (Federal Republic of Germany) can still be redeemed. As for older money ... well, those notes may be exceptions the other way round then. :ninja:

(* the 2 DM coin issued in 1951 which looks pretty much like the 1 DM coin - then again, any dealer will gladly pay you much more than face for that one)

Christian

I only recently figured out what they did with the old Reichsmarks, they were called in and exchanged at 10:1 for the new DM, I hadn't realised that the Reichsmarks even had that much value in 1948. I also find it kind of interesting that the Reichsmarks circulated until the DDR mark came out in late '48, with validation stamps affixed in the blank portion of the note and not over the swastika that was then present on some of the notes issued before 1945. It is a bit amazing that inflation was kept in check in Germany after the end of the war, unlike in Hungary and Romania where inflation wiped out the economies. But Germany did not have much of an economy to ruin after the war anyway.

I only recently figured out what they did with the old Reichsmarks, they were called in and exchanged at 10:1 for the new DM, I hadn't realised that the Reichsmarks even had that much value in 1948.

Depends; in the Western occupation zones a relatively small amount could be exchanged at a 1:1 rate, small change was valid at the 10:1 (or 100:10) rate you mentioned, and what people had on bank accounts was effectively exchanged at a 100:6.5 rate. In the Eastern occupation zone there were similar rates, 1:1 mostly for small (account or cash) amounts, 5:1 for bank accounts with 100 to 1000 RM, 10:1 for cash above 70 RM, and so on. Also, in the Eastern zone high amounts in private bank accounts (over 5,000 RM or so) were basically annulled ...

And yes, officially the RM did have quite a lot of value. But after the monetary "pseudo-stability" of the nazi years, even products that were basically available could not be bought with RM cash. The 1948 currency reforms changed that. By the way, when the DM was introduced in the GDR (about three months before the Eastern states joined the Federal Republic), exchanges rates were similarly grouped - partly 1:1, partly 2:1, partly 3:1.

Christian

Depends; in the Western occupation zones a relatively small amount could be exchanged at a 1:1 rate, small change was valid at the 10:1 (or 100:10) rate you mentioned, and what people had on bank accounts was effectively exchanged at a 100:6.5 rate. In the Eastern occupation zone there were similar rates, 1:1 mostly for small (account or cash) amounts, 5:1 for bank accounts with 100 to 1000 RM, 10:1 for cash above 70 RM, and so on. Also, in the Eastern zone high amounts in private bank accounts (over 5,000 RM or so) were basically annulled ...

And yes, officially the RM did have quite a lot of value. But after the monetary "pseudo-stability" of the nazi years, even products that were basically available could not be bought with RM cash. The 1948 currency reforms changed that. By the way, when the DM was introduced in the GDR (about three months before the Eastern states joined the Federal Republic), exchanges rates were similarly grouped - partly 1:1, partly 2:1, partly 3:1.

Christian

A lot of money coming over here after the war as souvenirs may account why so much of money from the 1924-1945 period is still available for collectors. My grandmother once had a trunk full of stuff that her brother in law sent her from there, she threw it out! The stuff she had, medals, flags, etc. would be worth many many thousands to collectors now.

Archived