CoinPeople.com

Late Imperial copper rotation error

gxseries

I've found these two in a recent copper lot. Granted, most of them are corroded but I think I have found something quite interesting:

930394.jpg

930395.jpg

Sorry for the bad photography but the rotation looks about right. This pushes the limit of the later year error coins that I have - I was thinking that by 1870s such error coins would be quite uncommon??? :ninja:

Anyone else with such rotation error coins minted around this era or later? I know there were a lot more rotation errors with Soviet coins but not with the late Imperial coinages.

I've found these two in a recent copper lot. Granted, most of them are corroded but I think I have found something quite interesting:

[images snipped for brevity...]

Sorry for the bad photography but the rotation looks about right. This pushes the limit of the later year error coins that I have - I was thinking that by 1870s such error coins would be quite uncommon??? ;)

Anyone else with such rotation error coins minted around this era or later? I know there were a lot more rotation errors with Soviet coins but not with the late Imperial coinages.

Very interesting, indeed! :ninja:

Some of the gold and silver coins of Nicholas II have rare varieties where the reverse is rotated 180 degrees relative to the obverse. Nobody knows why for sure, but perhaps it was done by foreign (European) mint workers who thought that was the way coins had to be minted (because they were done like that in France, Germany, etc. ... ;) ). However, I am sure that there were also occasional error strikes such as you mention.

How did you manage to find two of these in one lot?? Was this in some collection of error coins?

Bobh, it wasn't a pile of error coins else I would have shown more pics ;) Edit: ok I lied, there is one offstruck and a couple of clipped coins but not too spectular. Will upload them when I have the time.

Appearently it is a pile of "unsearched" and corroded Russian copper coins which I did pay a rather dear price but looks like it paid off. There are some shocker coins in there that I haven't pulled out yet as I have to wash and do a light clean to it - there is still a fair amount of rust on it - trust me, about 40% coins there had almost indetectable years and mintmarks. Now it's down to perhaps less than 20% of the whole lot which I find it pretty good.

The Peter I 1700 denga was also in that lot - quite a shocker when I first found it. :ninja:

Archived