CoinPeople.com

Help me!!

UncleBobo

I am applying for a job and a part of the application process is I have to do a 5 minute presentation on anything that I choose. Being a coinperson I chose the history of the phrase, "In God We Trust"

The whole thing is turning out pretty good but one problem that I am having is that I cannot find decent information on how it came to be put on our paper money in the 50's. I know that the campaign was started by a numismatist but I do not know his name or what he wrote to congress to get the ball rolling.

Any information or web links that will get me the info would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. did you know the first time a “In God We Trust” like phrase was used to describe America was in the final verse of what became our national anthem?

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner forever shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

In God We Trust: The History

The U. S. Department of Treasury states “the motto, IN GOD WE TRUST, was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout persons throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize the Deity on United States coins.

From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania. As a result, Secretary Chase instructed James Pollock, Director of the Mint at Philadelphia, to prepare a motto, in a letter dated November 20, 1861:

Dear Sir: No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins. You will cause a device to be prepared without unnecessary delay with a motto expressing in the fewest and tersest words possible this national recognition. It was found that the Act of Congress dated January 18, 1837, prescribed the mottoes and devices that should be placed upon the coins of the United States.”

Pollock suggested "Our Trust Is In God," "Our God And Our Country," "God And Our Country," and "God Our Trust." Chase picked "In God We Trust" to be used on some of the government's coins. The first time "In God We Trust" appeared on our coins was in 1864 on the new two cent coin, and by 1909 it was included on most the other coins. During the height of the cold war, on July 11, 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed Public Law 140 making it mandatory that all coinage and paper currency display the motto.

from this link http://www.allabouthistory.org/in-god-we-trust.htm an the one i wrote was in the civil war giveaway contest :ninja: but that bout coins

as for who made it

In God We Trust: The Motto

One of the first found references of the motto “In God We Trust” is heard in the U.S. National Anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner. The song was written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 and later adopted as the national anthem. In the last stanza Key writes a variation of the phrase: “...And this be our motto: In God is our trust. And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave, O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.” The words were shortened to In God We Trust and first applied to U.S. coins in 1864.

from this link http://www.allabouthistory.org/in-god-we-trust.htm an the one i wrote was in the civil war giveaway contest :ninja: but that bout coins

Anybody know the history behind why Ike signed the latter law for all circulating US money? Post Civil War to 1955 is a long time....

I have it on my license plate ;)

The addition of "IN GOD WE TRUST" to our paper money was done as a big FU to the athiest communist nations.

Thanks for the info Roaddevil, I ended up not needing it because I ended my presentation in 1908.

Archived