CoinPeople.com

1934 Europe/North Africa note

cestrin

Hey everyone. I recently inhereted my grandpa's collection. In it, he has many HAWAII notes and the Europe/No. Africa notes. He has one note in particular that is a $10 silver 1934 Europe/No. African note. It does NOT have an A next to the series...it is listed as rare in 63 condition in the red book. He kept his notes in the best condition you can (condition is between 63-67). I was wondering how I'd go about finding the value of the note (I don't have a greensheet) without grading it. Is the best way to look at previous auctions of this note and if so, where would I want to look? Thanks.

Hey everyone. I recently inhereted my grandpa's collection. In it, he has many HAWAII notes and the Europe/No. Africa notes. He has one note in particular that is a $10 silver 1934 Europe/No. African note. It does NOT have an A next to the series...it is listed as rare in 63 condition in the red book. He kept his notes in the best condition you can (condition is between 63-67). I was wondering how I'd go about finding the value of the note (I don't have a greensheet) without grading it. Is the best way to look at previous auctions of this note and if so, where would I want to look? Thanks.

That is indeed a rare note, specially in that condition. Another source besides Heritage is check Lyn Knight Auctions. http://www.lynknight.com/

Don Kelly has an VF/XF for sale at $9500.00

Denlys of boston has a F/VF for $4500.00

Art & Ira Friedberg list the note as #Fr. 2308

VG 1500

F 2000

VF 4000

XF 8250

UNC $12,000

ChCU $15,000

Greensheet Values

CU 60 $10,000

ChCU 63 $13,500

ChCU 64 $15,500

GEM 65 $18,500

Sup. GEM 67 $25,000

Do not go by the Greensheets for this note. You have a rarity that gives you bargining position with other collectors. Do not let dealers tell you any different. The hot currency market demands conditional rarity notes like the one you have.

Typical Gem prices can go from $30,000-$40,000 if you market it the right way.

I would suggest however that to be certain that it is not an 1934A note that was altered (there are some out there) is that you be proactive and have the note certified through a third party grading company like PCGS PMG or CGA etc.

Jeff

I have to agree with oldbucks on this one, get that sucker certified just to be sure. And when/if you place it on the auction block, make sure it's during a peak selling time of the year. More than likely something such as this would be one of the better items for the currency part of that auction, so be sure to talk to one of the catalogers or your rep and make sure it's properly promoted.

Archived