CoinPeople.com

Probus Error Antoninianus

Inspired by the errored Edward Penny posted by YeOldeCollector I thought I would share an older error from the emperor Probus.

This first coin is an example of the coin without the question (just for those that are not familiar with the type!).

929294.jpg

Probus Antonianus

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right

Rev:– TEMPOR FELICI, Felicitas standing right, holding caduceus and cornucopiae Minted in Lugdunum (I in exe.) Emission 6 Officina 1. A.D. 278 - 279

Ref:– Cohen 713. Bastien 269. RIC 104 Bust type F

The second coin is the errored coin.

929295.jpg

Probus Antonianus

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right

Rev:– TEMPR FELICI, Felicitas standing right, holding caduceus and cornucopiae Minted in Lugdunum (I in exe.) Emission 6 Officina 1. A.D. 278 - 279

Ref:– Cohen -. Bastien -. RIC -

The O is missing from TEMPOR. This reverse error is known on a single die and there are two known examples (this being one of them). The other example is linked with a different obverse legend variety.

Errors happened with ancients too though they are in general quite scarce.

Regards,

Martin

could the second coin not be a contemporary copy. It looks crude by comparison and the missing 'o' could be because of the lettering position?

The coin is undoubtedly an official mint product. I have seen die matches with other examples from the same obverse die in Bastien. The output of the mint at this point was quite variable with the first example being of particularly good style. There are several other error that occur at this mint at this point.

Regards,

Martin

Archived