CoinPeople.com

Poor scans

Hi guys,

I have some new additions to my collection (finally) and want to post them on omnicoin. Instead of using my digital camera, I'd like to use our standard flatbed scanner. I placed the coin (which is in a slab) on the scanner, tried a few different resolutions and sharpenings, scanned a few times, and this is what I typically get:

Well, the attachment is here somewhere.. just in case it isn't: the image looks very shaky and rippley like throwing a stone in a pond. Any advice on what to do to get the best scan with a slabbed coin?

The scanner cannot focus on the coin because it is behind the plastic. It is actually focusing on the front plain of the slab. Even when photographing these with a camera, you need to go to manual focus and hone in on the face of the coin or you get the same effect. Scanners have a very narrow depth of field.

hmmm.. so no way of tweaking with the scanner to have it focus at a different depth?

I guess I'll have to whip out the digicam to get a pic of this one. Pity, such a beautiful coin. Can't wait to share it with you guys. Thanks for the tips guys.

Archived