CoinPeople.com

silver coloured, off center 2006 Canada dollar (loonie)

I'm a total newbie, and non-coin person - just found this odd coin in a bunch of coins we got from a fund raiser.

I can't figure how to attach a photo (keep getting a "too big" error - file is 112 k), so words will have to do for now. Picture posting hints welcomed.

The coin is slightly smaller than a loonie, larger diameter but thinner than a quarter, silver in colour, and badly off-center. Otherwise it seems to be a loonie.

Is this rare, a fake, of any value?

Also not a photographer, obviously.

Thanks for any information.

Picture posting hints welcomed.

Right above the smiley bar when you're posting, there's is a "Choose File" button. Click that, upload your pictures, click "Add this attachment". It should work.

Can't wait to see it.

- - Here you go. Images from the gallery.

Thanks for putting my photos in the proper place, akdrv.

I hope to scan the coin (both sides) later, and figure out how to post the pix myself.

Someone on canadiancoin.com suggested it might be "valuable" but I'm remaining skeptical.

I think you have a Loonie struck on a quarter planchet.

Get it weighed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a quarter planchet should weigh 4.4 Grams, and the Loonies weigh 7.0 Grams.

It also could be struck on a foreign planchet as Canada strikes coins for dozens of other countries. In either case it would be worth several hundred dollars.

Nice find.

Wow! Nice find!

Wonder what the gunk around the letters is? :ninja:

Many thanks for all the thoughts, folks. I will weigh and scan it tomorrow. To my eye, there's no hint of previous plating in another colour.

I think the gunk may be from my wallet. There does seem to be a small squarish indentation above the L in Elizabeth, though.

Hundreds of dollars, you say? Is this how a hobby starts?

I think you have a Loonie struck on a quarter planchet.

Get it weighed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a quarter planchet should weigh 4.4 Grams, and the Loonies weigh 7.0 Grams.

It also could be struck on a foreign planchet as Canada strikes coins for dozens of other countries. In either case it would be worth several hundred dollars.

Nice find.

I got it weighed: just slightly over 4.45 grams.

No better images available yet, but I did look at it under a binocular dissecting scope (I work in a lab), and the "gunk" (see messages below) looks almost like 'rusty' scratches. I'm nervous about trying to clean it - anyone know if ultrasonic bath (in water) is a good idea? or should I just leave it be?

I'll try to post some high-res scans soon.

Thanks again for all the input.

I don't think I would clean it but I probably would send it in for Gradeing and authentificition.

Thanks for the advice.

Just what does "send it in for Gradeing and authentificition" mean? Where's "in"?

If anyone can recommend a coiny person in Fredericton that I could contact, I'd appreciate it.

PS - the scans really didn't come out that well - I will try something else for better pictures.

Many thanks.

Canadian Coin Certification Service (CCCS) in Longueuil, QC - www.canadiancoincertification.com

International Coin Certification Service (ICCS) in Toronto, Ontario - 416-488-8620

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) in Parsippany, New Jersey - www.ngccoin.com

Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) in Newport Beach, California - www.pcgs.com

Closest coin shop I could find..... The Coin Cabinet, Moncton, (506) 857-9403

You also have a local club that might be able to help you out.

Fredericton Numismatic Society

c/o: Ian Graham, 11 Scenic Drive, Fredericton, New Brunswick E3E 1A1

Archived