CoinPeople.com

Horned lettering

While looking thru some of my morgans trying to see if I could spot any other vams. I noticed the Unum has "horns" on all the letters. I don't know how else to describe them. And example on the first "U" upper cross bars has lines going up from all four corners to the denticles. I have seen some similar, but had not really thought about it. I'm assuming it was caused by excessive pressure when minted. Can any one confirm this?

Okay, best I can do. The lines going all the way to the edge don't really show up in the pic. Also had to focus in on just on letter for the horns to be seen. But they are on all the letters of unum.

Uhorn.jpg

Here is one I made marks on where the lines extend to

Uhornlined.jpg

Looks like just metal spread, normally I see this on quarter sized coins, and lincoln cents. I can't say for sure, but that's my take on it.

Looks like just metal spread, normally I see this on quarter sized coins, and lincoln cents. I can't say for sure, but that's my take on it.

Sounds right I had not thought about that. In hand these show up pretty clear. And all the letters across Unum have nice little spikes with the lines.

Archived