CoinPeople.com

Source for African currency???

Vfox

I am looking to purchase Zambian Kwacha's and I would like to find a good source that is cheaper than eBay. I am looking for the newer design with the eagle (like my avatar). I would like to purchase packs of 100, and single higher valued notes.

If anyone has a source for these I would REALLY appreciate it if you let me know.

Hmmm... Did you put a jinx on this or what? - just kidding, but as it happens, I went looking for my African Banknote dealers and guess what? several have gone away.

It's odd and strange that they'd go away within a week of each other, but they did. The only African banknote dealers I have on file are those who sell $pendy $tuff. I'll keep a look out though, and if I find one that handles Zambian ones (and who isn't on Ebay) I'll let you know.

Thanks very much! If I can get it close to exchange rate (depending on your dealer) I will certainly want a giant heaping pile of it, lol. Otherwise if it's at least cheaper than the people on ebay I will still want a nice stack. :ninja:

Also, when you say "$pendy $tuff" do you mean circulated and cheap, or really really expensive? Because I am also interested in cheap circ stuff.

Thanks!

No, to me "$pendy $tuff" means circulated and expensive - the stuff I am mainly interested in is in French design influenced African notes - which a lot of others are evidently interested in as well it seems. Like the saying goes, Champagne taste on a beer budget!

Have you thought about a money exchange site for the circulated and cheap stuff? I remember looking into this online when I started, but they wanted something like $200 minimum from the country you were looking to get from, and only one country at a time. There is one exchange just across the border in Canada that let me exchange in person just a few notes and no minimum, with only a few dollars for the fee - AND they went looking for the best Euros they could find as well. Might be worth a shot for you.

Thanks very much! If I can get it close to exchange rate (depending on your dealer) I will certainly want a giant heaping pile of it, lol. Otherwise if it's at least cheaper than the people on ebay I will still want a nice stack. :ninja:

Also, when you say "$pendy $tuff" do you mean circulated and cheap, or really really expensive? Because I am also interested in cheap circ stuff.

Thanks!

Since I live near Baltamore and DC, about 2-2.5 hours from either, I'll have to check it out. Those two cities would be my best bet. BWI has a place like that, Travelex or something, and since I will be dropping off my sister in law there mid July, I'll have to ask around. Although it appears they do not carry anything from Zambia.

vfox,

I bought a bundle each of the 50 and 20 ZMK notes from a guy on ebay called "noteshobby". He shipped in a decent amount of time (2 wks from Thailand to the SE US) and was cheap...I think both bundles were 17 bucks each. Nowhere near face (last i checked, ZMK 4800 (!) to USD 1) but cheapest I could find online. Page's (linked by San Miguel earlier) has some decent prices on stuff.

As for exchanges, I wouldn't expect you'd find Kwacha or anything really outside of ZAR or EGP at a US exchange, maybe if you were in J'Burg, Nairobi, Dar Es Salaam or what not. If you decide to go the exchange route, call Travelex ahead of time, and go on a Sunday (before they dump all the odd stuff and restock the 13 majors). If you find a nice one, they'll only charge the 5.95 once.

i did a little searching, and the only wholesaler i could find was pomexport.com. but of the zambian notes you wanted, he only had one in his inventory - the 1992 20 kwacha. it's listed for $0.62 each for a quantity of 50, for a total of $31.00.

i agree with grant about noteshobby being an excellent seller on ebay. i made a large purchase from them a few months ago and was very pleased with the transaction. also...they're selling bundles of 100 of the same 20 kwacha notes I mentioned above for $32.00.

I did check them out, they seem promising, and with what you guys say I may have to try eBay after. Thanks for helping me in my search, I will post some when I get some. :ninja:

I have a friend who lives in Tanzania and he sell on Ebay as Bwananick. He have a lot of stuff from Southern African Countries, including Zambia.

http://myworld.ebay.com/bwananick

Hey, you know this guy? Neat! he has always been highly recommended. I have seen that he has nothing for sale lately, though. I hope he doesn't decide to quit, or if he leaves Ebay, I hope you will let us know if he puts up a regular site.

I just made a somewhat large purchase from emiro50 on ebay, he has many MANY single notes for sale at fairly reasonable prices. I will let you guys know how he was in shipping and whatnot from Italy. But with 700 some feedbacks at 100% I doubt it should be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the notes on Saturday. About 15 days to ship from Italy is about average, so no worries. He sent two packages for some reason though, I guess for safety and package size? Either way shipping only cost $6.00, and they both came on the same day.

I am very pleased with my purchases. All the notes are Gem CU, and almost every single note is sequential in number. I am surely going to make another purchase from him when I get some extra cash.

Archived