CoinPeople.com

2006 - transitional metal by the St. Petersburg Mint?

gxseries

I'm pretty puzzled at the moment at some of the kopek coins that I received today. This is in regards of the 10 and 50 kopeks which is usually minted in bronze like planchets and with reeded edges.

Now I actually have four different examples minted in 2006 of both 10 kopeks and 50 kopeks which are in bronze-like planchets with reeded edges and plated iron planchets WITHOUT edges! I actually took a magnet and checked it and I am sure there is something going on here.

Anyone else noticed this yet?

Yep, they started making the 10 and 50 kopecks of brass-plated-steel in the second half of 2006:

Изменение материала монет Банка России номиналом 10 и 50 копеек

Со второй половины 2006 г. Банк России изменяет материал монет Банка России номиналом 10 и 50 копеек образца 1997 года.

Монеты изготавливаются из биметалла. Основой монеты является сталь, покрытая с аверса и реверса сплавом томпак желтого цвета. Слоистая структура монеты видна на боковой поверхности монет. Боковая поверхность монет - гладкая, не содержит рифов.

Монеты имеют следующие геометрические размеры и массу:

10 копеек. Масса 1,85 г; диаметр 17,50 мм; толщина 1,25 мм.

50 копеек. Масса 2,75 г; диаметр 19,50 мм; толщина 1,50 мм

Графическое оформление монет из биметалла полностью соответствует описанию монет Банка России образца 1997 года соответствующих номиналов.

Монеты из старого материала остаются законным средством платежа.

*Quote from www.cbr.ru

Archived