CoinPeople.com

US Mint Coin Holders v. Air-Tites

slowly but surely

Hey folks,

Anyone have any opinions / knowledge they'd like to share about the advisibility of leaving coins in the plastic holders they come in from the mint. Specifically commemoratives and ASEs. Think it would be better to crack them out and move them to air-tites or similar?

Thanks! :ninja:

Just for the single ASEs and commems (that come in the round plastic holders), you think that the mint holders are air tight? I'm just worried the oxidation process is already taking place and they'd be better being moved to something else. I'm happy to leave them in though, fewer holders to buy and they do look nice as is!

Neither the mint capsules or the AirTite's are actually air tight. I would say they both offer the same protection and moving from one to the other would offer no added benefit other than having your coins in matching holders.

Exactly.

If anything, the mint capsules may be slightly better.

I just pulled out my old 1986 Proof ASE and it was still perfect in the mint capsule.

I have also had great luck with Intershield holders for my better silver dollars.

If possible keep them in a low humidity air conditoned environment out of the light.

-Ron

I've been collecting Proof and Uncirc sets for many, many years. Some from the early 50's. All left in the original plastic containers. So far they all appear as if they were just received. No corroding, changing, toning, etc. Maybe in another few hundred years but for now, no problem. I suggest leaving well enough alone.

Archived