CoinPeople.com

Kennedy half dollar - 1972 - weighing 8.8 grams

Here you see two Kennedy halves, however the left one is weighing only 8.8 grams.

How would you explain this? Could this be due to corrosion, or is it a question of gluing 3 discs of metal together?

The core is about 3mm smaller.

kennedyhalves.jpg

kennedyhalvesa.jpg

kennedyhalvesb.jpg

Suggestions are more than welcome :ninja:

Regards

Jos

Here you see two Kennedy halves, however the left one is weighing only 8.8 grams.

How would you explain this? Could this be due to corrosion, or is it a question of gluing 3 discs of metal together?

The core is about 3mm smaller.

Suggestions are more than welcome :ninja:

Regards

Jos

They're both clad, but of different materials. Checking the Redbook: for the copper clad on the left 11.34 gm and for the silver clad on the right, 11.50 gm. Your pic looks like the copper core was shaved and that certainly could be responsible for the weight loss. Whether this is a faulty planchet or after mintage recreation - dunno, but I would suspect the latter, although I admit that I have no idea why (or how) it would be done.

I know I'm wrong, but I'd like to throw this out there: could someone have altered the coin to pass if off as an SBA, tie a string to it, and reuse it as a dollar coin???

Archived